Reproductive Function in Patients with Non-functioning Pituitary Adenoma According to the Register of the Republic of Uzbekistan
¹Republican Specialized Scientific-Practical Medical Center of Endocrinology; ²Tashkent Medical Pediatric Institute; Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Corresponding author: Yulduz Urmanova, PhD, ScD. Republican Specialized Scientific-Practical Medical Center of Endocrinology; Tashkent, Uzbekistan. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: June 20, 2016. DOI: 10.21103/Article6(2)_ShC1
The main aim of our study was to evaluate the reproductive system status and gonadotropic pituitary function in patients with non-functioning pituitary adenoma (NFPA) according to the register data.
Depending on the state of the reproductive system at the time of NFPA diagnosis, men and women can be classified into three groups: secondary hypogonadism (40.7%); normal state of the sexual system (22.0%); and PCOS in women (36.5%) and reduced testicular size in men (11.2%). Menstrual irregularities took place in 77.8% NFPA women of reproductive age (41.3% of them had galactorea-oligo/amenorrhea combined with moderate hyperprolactinemia), and sexual dysfunction occurred in 42.0% of male patients with NFPA.
- Chanson P, Raverot G, Castinetti F, Cortet-Rudelli C, Galland F, Salenave S; French Endocrinology Society non-functioning pituitary adenoma work-group. Management of clinically non-functioning pituitary adenoma. Ann Endocrinol (Paris). 2015 Jul;76(3):239-47. doi: 10.1016/j.ando.2015.04.002. Epub 2015 Jun 10.
- Raappana A, Koivukangas J, Ebeling T, Pirila T. Incidence of pituitaryadenomas in Northern Finland in 1992–2007. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95(9):4268–75.
- Daly AF, Rixhon M, Adam C, Dempegioti A, Tichomirowa MA,Beckers A. High prevalence of pituitary adenomas: a cross-sectionalstudy in the province of Liège, Belgium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab2006;91(12):4769–75.
- Fernandez A, Karavitaki N, Wass JA. Prevalence of pituitary adenomas:a community-based, cross-sectional study in Banbury (Oxfordshire, UK).Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2010;72(3):377–82.
- Cury ML, Fernandes JC, Machado HR, Elias LL, Moreira AC, Castro Md. Non-functioning pituitary adenomas: clinical feature, laboratorial and imaging assessment, therapeutic management and outcome. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2009 Feb;53(1):31-9.
- Laws ER, Ebersold MJ, Piepgras DG, et al. The results of transsphenoidal surgery in specific clinical entities. In: Laws ER, Randall RV, Kern EB, et al. Management of Pituitary Adenomas and Related Lesions with Emphasis on Transsphenoidal Microsurgery. New York: Appleton-Century- Crofts, 1982: 277-305.
- Dedov I, Rozhivanov R, Rozhinskaya L, Vorontsov A. Sexual function in men with functioning and nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas. Vrach.2011;7:90-2.
- Halimova ZYu, Kholova DSh. Primary symptoms of non-functioning pituitary adenoma (NFPA) in patients at the time of NFPA diagnosis. Nevrologiia (Tashkent). 2015;1(61):24-6.
- Halimova ZYu., Kholova DSh. Algorithm for diagnosis and treatment of family forms of non-functioning pituitary adenoma (NFPA). [Guidelines in Russian]. Tashkent; 2014.
- Unuane D, Tournaye H, Velkeniers B, Poppe K. Endocrine disorders & female infertility. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 25(6):861-73.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2016;6(2):133-135. © 2016 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.