Samara State Medical University, Samara, the Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Dmitry Konstantinov, PhD; Samara State Medical University; Samara, the Russian Federation .E-mail: email@example.com
Published: September 12, 2016. DOI: 10.21103/Article6(3)_OA7
The purpose of the study was to examine the clinical and epidemiological data in patients with chronic hepatitis C (CHC) and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) before they sought specialized medical care.
The study included 92 patients with CHC. All patients were divided into 2 groups: Group 1 consisted of CHC patients with HCC (n=45), and Group 2 (n=47) consisted of CHC patients without HCC.
With the development of HCC in CHC patients, clinical manifestations were absent only in 2.2% of patients. Determining factors in HCC development are male sex, mature age, the maintained HCV replication, moderate and severe fibrosis, disease duration of more than 10 years, and the lack of effect of antiviral treatment.
- Venook AP, Papandreou C, Furuse J, de Guevara LL. The incidence and epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma: a global and regional perspective. Oncologist. 2010;15 Suppl 4:5-13.
- Ahmed F, Perz JF, Kwong S, Jamison PM, Friedman C, Bell BP. National trends and disparities in the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma, 1998–2003. Prev Chronic Dis. 2008;5(3):A74.
- Llovet JM. Updated treatment approach to hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol. 2005;40(3):225-35.
- Gomaa AI, Khan SA, Toledano MB, Waked I, Taylor-Robinson SD. Hepatocellular carcinoma: Epidemiology, risk factors and pathogenesis. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14(27):4300-8.
- Di Bisceglie AM. Epidemiology and clinical presentation of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2002;13(9 Pt2):S169-71.
- Block TM, Mehta AS, Fimmel CJ, Jordan R. Molecular viral oncology of hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncogene. 2003;22(33):5093-107.
- Anthony PP. Hepatocellular carcinoma: an overview. Histopathology 2001;39(2):109-18.
- Bruix J, Llovet JM. Prognostic prediction and treatment strategy in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2002; 35(3):519-24.
- Kubo S1, Nishiguchi S, Hirohashi K, Tanaka H, Shuto T, Yamazaki O, et al. Effects of long-term postoperative interferon-alpha therapy on intrahepatic recurrence after resection of hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2001;134(10):963-7.
- Bolondi L, Gaiani S, Casali A, Serra C, Piscaglia F. Screening for the early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: cost-effectiveness analysis. Radiol Med. 1997 Jul-Aug;94(1-2):4-7. [Article in Italian].
- Knodell RG, Ishak KG, Black WC, Chen TS, Craig R, Kaplowitz N, Kiernan TW, Wollman J. Formulation and application of a numerical scoring system for assessing histological activity in asymptomatic chronic active hepatitis. Hepatology. 1981;1(5):431-5.
- Bedossa P, Poynard T. The French METAVIR Cooperative Study Group. An algorithm for grading activity in chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology. 1996;24:289–93.
- American Joint Committee on Cancer. AJCC cancer staging manual Sixth Edition. Springer; Chicago, USA 2002. https://cancerstaging.org/references tools/deskreferences/Documents/AJCC6thEdCancerStagingManualPart1.pdf
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2016;6(3):195-198. © 2016 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved