Comparative Analysis of in vitro Performance of Total-Etch and Self-Etch Adhesives
Tashkent State Dental Institute; Tashkent, Uzbekistan
*Corresponding author: Timur V. Melkumyan, PhD, ScD. Tashkent State Dental Institute; Tashkent, Uzbekistan. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: December 16, 2016. DOI: 10.21103/Article6(4)_OA7
The aim of the study was in vitro assessment of shear bond strength and micro-leakage after application of total-etch and self-etch adhesive systems.
Materials and Methods: Four adhesive systems were chosen for assessment of adhesion performance: Contax (DMG, GmbH), Bond Force (Tokuyama Dental Corp. Japan Mfr), Te-Econom Bond (Ivoclar Vivadent, Liechtenstein) and Swisstec SL Bond (Coltene, Switzerland). The assessment of bond strength was performed on 20 tooth samples, which were prepared in accordance with the UltraTest technique for shear bond strength (SBS) estimation. The test was conducted at a crosshead speed of 1.0 mm/min and results were fixed in kilograms. The assessment of SBS was performed on enamel and dentin separately. Microleakage assessment of self-etch and total-etch adhesive systems was performed on 20 extracted non-carious upper human premolars with immersion in 1% methylene blue solution after thermocycling.
Results: Good SBS results and microleakage values on the dentin substrate were obtained after application of the Contax self-etch bonding agent. But the values of bond strength to enamel and the extent of dye penetration within the composite-enamel interface were still better with the total-etch approach.
- Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Vijay P, et al. Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges.Oper Dent. 2003 May-Jun;28(3):215-35.
- Manuja N1, Nagpal R, Pandit IK. Dental adhesion: mechanism, techniques and durability. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2012;36(3):223-34.
- Katz JL, Bumrerraj S, Dreyfuss J, Wang Y, Spencer P. Micromechanics of the dentin/adhesive interface. J Biomed Mater Res. 2001;58(4):366-71.
- Sundfeld RH, Valentino TA, de Alexandre RS, Briso AL, Sundefeld ML. Hybrid layer thickness and resin tag length of a self-etching adhesive bonded to sound dentin. J Dent. 2005;33(8):675-81.
- Tay FR, Pashley DH. Aggressiveness of contemporary self-etching systems. I: Depth of penetration beyond dentin smear layers. Dent Mater. 2001;17(4):296-308.
- Owens BM; Johnson WW; Harris EF. Marginal permeability of Self-etch and total etch adhesive systems. Oper Dent.2006; 31(1): 60-7.
- Yoshida Y, Nagakane K, Fukuda R, Nakayama Y, Okazaki M, Shintani H, et al. Comparative study on adhesive performance of functional monomers. J Dent Res. 2004; 83(6):454-8.
- Van Landuyt KL, Snauwaert J, De Munck J, Peumans M, Yoshida Y, Poitevin A, et al.. Systematic review of the chemical composition of contemporary dental adhesives. Biomaterials 2007;28(26):3757-85.
- Zanchi CH, Munchow EA, Ogliari FA, de Carvalho RV, Chersoni S, Prati C, Demarco FF, Piva E. A new approach in self-etching adhesive formulations: replacing HEMA for surfactant dimethacrylate monomers. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2011; 99(1):51-7.
- Breschi L, Mazzoni A, Ruggeri A, Cadenaro M, Di Lenarda R, De Stefano Dorigo E. Dental adhesion review: Aging and stability of bonded interface. Dent Mater. 2008;24(1):90–101.
- Fujita K, Nishiyama N. Degradation of single bottle type self-etching primer effectuated by the primer's storage period. Am J Dent 2006, 19(2):111-4.
- Strassler HE. Applications of total-etch adhesive bonding. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2003; 24(6):427-36.
- Van Meerbeek B, Yoshihara K, Yoshida Y, Mine A, De Munck J, Van Landuyt KL. State of the art of self-etch adhesives. Dent Mater. 2011;27(1):17-28.
- Milia E1, Cumbo E, Cardoso RJ, Gallina G. Current dental adhesives systems. A narrative review. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18(34):5542-52.
- Murdock-Kinch CA, McLean ME. Minimally invasive dentistry. J Am Dent Assoc. 2003;134(1):87-95.
- Christensen GJ. The advantages of minimally invasive dentistry. J Am Dent Assoc. 2005;136(11):1563-5.
- Van Meerbeek B, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Mine A, Van Ende A, Neves A, et al. Relationship between bond-strength tests and clinical outcomes. Dent Mater 2010;26(2):e100-21.
- Tagami J1, Nikaido T, Nakajima M, Shimada Y. Relationship between bond strength tests and other in vitro phenomena. Dent Mater. 2010;26(2):e94-9.
- Hashimoto M, Fujita S, Nagano F, Ohno H, Endo K. Ten-years degradation of resin-dentin bonds. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010;118(4):404-10.
- De Munck J, Van Meerbeek B, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Suzuki K, et al. Four-year water degradation of total-etch adhesives bonded to dentin. J Dent Res. 2003;82(2):136-40.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2016;6(4):283-286. © 2016 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.