¹ Institute of Medicine, Ecology and Physical Education of Ulyanovsk State University; ² Ulyanovsk Regional Oncology Center. Ulyanovsk, The Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Prof. Alexei L. Charyshkin, PhD, ScD. Head of the Faculty Surgery Department, Institute of Medicine, Ecology and Physical Education, Ulyanovsk State University. Ulyanovsk, The Russian Federation. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: June 16, 2017. doi: 10.21103/Article7(2)_ShC1
Background: Lung cancer is one of the most common cancers in the world. The main objective of our study was to analyze the results of the surgical treatment of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in patients of different age groups.
Methods and Results: We examined 280 patients (262/93.6% men and 18/6.4% women) aged from 39 to 75 years with NSCLC who underwent surgical treatment in the Ulyanovsk Regional Oncology Center in the period from 2010 to 2016. The mean age of patients was 64.9±10.1 years. Concomitant diseases were identified in 256(91.4%) patients: cardiovascular diseases in 170(60.7%), COPD in 147 (52.5%), lower extremity peripheral artery disease (stages II and III chronic ischemia) in 49(17.5%), a combination of concomitant pathology in 110(39.3%) patients. A total of 85(30.4%) pneumonectomies were performed, 56 of them in patients of young and middle age. Among early postoperative complications, the most frequent complications were purulent-inflammatory complications of the soft tissues of wounds (38.5%) and bronchopleural fistula (31.1%). The most severe complications, such as myocardial infarction, acute stroke, and acute limb ischemia, developed in patients with concomitant cardiovascular diseases, which caused the postoperative mortality of 4.6%.
Conclusion: There were no statistically significant differences in the structure of complications depending on sex and age.
- Kotiv BN, Habulava GG, Dzidzava II, Nohrin AV, Popov VA, Kuznetsov IM, et al. Surgical treatment of patients with lung cancer concurrent with coronary artery disease. Bestnik Rossiiskoi Voenno-Medizinskoi Akademii. 2016;54(2):15-9.
- Kotiv BN, Dzidzava I.I., Popov V.A., Kuznetsov I.M. Surgical treatment of lung cancer in patients with low functional reserves of respiratory system and blood circulation. Bestnik Rossiiskoi Voenno-Medizinskoi Akademii. 2016;54(2):241-6.
- Key Statistics for Lung Cancer [Internet]: The American Cancer Society Available from https://www.cancer.org/cancer/non-small-cell-lung-cancer/about/key-statistics.html
- Charyshkin AL, Yudin AN. Anesthesia and prevention of inflammatory complications at patients after median sternotomy. The Russian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2014;(6):28-33.
- C h e r n y k h АV. Contemporary variants of treatment of non-small cell lung carcinoma.. Vestnik of St. Petersburg State University (Series 11 “Medicine”). 2009;(2):150-63.
- C h e r n y k h А. V. Systematic mediastinal bilateral lymph dissection in lung carcinoma treatment: surgical approach perfection. I.P. Pavlov Russian Medical Biological Herald. 2009;(2):121-6.
- Al-Attar N, Salvi S, Sebbag U, Nataf P. Combined left pneumonectomy and off-pump coronary artery bypass through left thoracotomy.
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2001;19(2):226-8.
- Ambrogi V, Pompeo E, Elia S, Pistolese GR, Mineo TC. The impact
of cardiovascular comorbidity on the outcome of surgery for stage I
and II non-small-cell lung cancer. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2003;23(5):811-7.
- Basavaraju SR, Jones TD. Atherosclerotic risks from chemicals: part I. Toxicological observations and mechanisms of atherosclerosis Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 1998;35(1):152–64.
- Charyshkin AL, Yudin AN. The results of treatment of patients after median sternotomy. Life Science Journal. 2014;11(11):342-5.
- Danton MH, Anikin VA, McManus KG, McGuigan JA, Campalani
G. Simultaneous cardiac surgery with pulmonary resection: presentation of series and review of literature. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1998;13(6):667-72.
- Dyszkiewicz W, Jemielity M, Piwkowski C, Kasprzyk M, Perek B,
Gasiorowski L, et al. The early and late results of combined
off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting and pulmonary resection in patients with concomitant lung cancer and unstable coronary heart
disease. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008;34(3):531-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ejcts.2008.05.017.
- Hercberg S1, Galan P, Preziosi P, Alfarez MJ, Vazquez C. The potential role of antioxidant vitamins in preventing cardiovascular diseases and cancers. Nutrition. 1998;14(6):513–20.
- Hirose H, Amano A, Yoshida S, Nagao T, Sunami H, Takahashi A, et al. Coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with malignant
neoplasm. Efficacy of coronary artery bypass grafting on beating heart.
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2000;48(2)96-100.
- Johnson JA, Landreneau RJ, Boley TM, Haggerty SP, Hattler B, Curtis JJ, et al. Should pulmonary lesions be resected at the
time of open heart surgery? Am Surg. 1996;62(4)300-3.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
International Journal of Biomedicine. 2017;7(2):144-146. ©2017 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.