Scientific Centre of Hygiene and Epidemiology named after Hamza Zhumatov. Almaty, Kazakhstan
*Corresponding author: Lyazat Orakbay, PhD, ScD. Scientific Centre of Hygiene and Epidemiology named after Hamza Zhumatov. Almaty, Kazakhstan. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: December 15, 2017. doi: 10.21103/Article7(4)_OA9
This article considers methodological approaches to a comprehensive assessment of the impact of environmental factors on the health of a megacity population for the purpose of making targeted management decisions. We propose a methodology for constructing a Risk Assessment Map (RAM) in tabular and graphical (using GIS technologies) variants and consider using data from the ecological and hygienic monitoring. The stage of risk mapping consists of systematization and generalization of data on emissions of leading industrial enterprises, power engineering and motor transport objects, taking into account the main meteorological conditions and objective characteristics of the impact of pollution of environmental objects on the health status of the population in various areas of the megacity. By the method of expert assessments, we suggest assigning ranks for each criterion of the risk factor being evaluated, followed by the derivation of the general rank of the risk probability.
- Zasorin BV. [Assessment of the carcinogenic risk for the health of the population of urbanized areas under the influence of environmental factors]. Abstract of ScD Thesis. Almaty; 2009. [in Russian].
- Petrov SB. [Investigations on the assessment of the risk to public health under the influence of environmental factors in the urban environment]. Izvestia of Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2011;13(8):1930-1933. [Article in Russian].
- Davletova NKh. [Motor transport as a global source of atmospheric air pollution]. Sovremennie naukoemkie tehnologii. 2005;(4):90-90. [Article in Russian].
- Ksenchenko IV, Eremina MV. [Evaluation of the influence of atmospheric air quality in industrial cities on the health status of the population]. Uspekhi sovremennogo estestvoznaniia. 2011;(8):113-113. [Article in Russian].
- Rakhmanin YuA, Mikhailova RI. [Environment and health: priorities of preventive medicine]. Gigiena i Sanitariya. 2014;93(5):5-10. [Article in Russian].
- Rashitov LZ, Gallyamov AB, Shulaev AV, Vakhitov Sh.M. [Pollution of atmospheric air with benzo[a]pyrene in a large city]. Kazan Medical Journal. 2011;92(1):86-88. [Article in Russian].
- EC. First report on the harmonisation of risk assessment procedures. Part 2: Appendices. Brussels, European Commission, Health & Consumer Protection Directorate-General, 26-27 October, 2000. Available from: https://ec.europa.eu/food/sites/food/files/safety/docs/sci-com_ssc_out84_en.pdf
- P 18.104.22.1680-04. [Guidelines for assessing the risks of the population health exposed to pollution chemicals]. M., 2004. [in Russian].
- Risk Assessment in the Federal Government: Managing the Process. National Research Council (US) Committee on the Institutional Means for Assessment of Risks to Public Health. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 1983.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
International Journal of Biomedicine. 2017;7(4):315-318. ©2017 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.