Voronezh State Medical University named after N. N. Burdenko. Voronezh, the Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Evgeniy S. Ovsyannikov, PhD. Department of faculty therapy, Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko. Voronezh, Russia. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published: December 15, 2017. doi: 10.21103/Article7(4)_OA3
The purpose of the study was to evaluate the efficacy of platelet concentrate obtained from donor plasma in the local treatment of venous trophic ulcers. The study included 106 patients (92 women and 14 men) aged from 38 to 79 years with varicose disease of the lower extremities with the sixth stage of chronic venous insufficiency in accordance with the international clinical part of the CEAP classification. The main group included 51 patients who received donor plasma enriched with platelets (106 in 1 μl) in the local treatment. The control group consisted of 55 patients who, in the local treatment, were given only modern dressings in strict accordance with the modern concept of treatment of chronic wounds. The results of the treatment were evaluated after 10 days of medical intervention. The use of the platelet-rich donor plasma in the regional treatment of trophic ulcers of venous etiology stimulates the regeneration processes and initiates the formation of granulation tissue, epithelialization, and angiogenesis. A wide range of local therapeutic effects, stimulating the regeneration, allows reducing the treatment time, improving the quality of life of patients and reducing the cost of treatment.
- Suryanarayan S, Budamakuntla L, Sha Khadri SI, Sarvajnamurthy S. Efficacy of autologous platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of chronic nonhealing leg ulcers. Plastic Aesthetic Res 2014, 1(2):65–69. Informe V1/23052013.
- San Sebastian KM, Lobato I, Hernández I, Burgos-Alonso N, Gomez-Fernandez MC, López JL, et al. Efficacy and safety of autologous platelet rich plasma for the treatment of vascular ulcers in primary care: Phase III study.BMC Fam Pract. 2014 Dec 30;15:211. doi: 10.1186/s12875-014-0211-8.
- Aralova MV, Ostroushko AP. Prevalence of Venous Trophic Ulcers of the Lower Extremities at Inhabitants of the Voronezh Region. Vestnik of Experimental and Clinical Surgery 2015;8(2):248-251. [Article in Russian].
- Wong IK, Andriessen A, Charles HE, Thompson D, Lee DT, So WK et al. Randomized controlled trial comparing treatment outcome of two compression bandaging systems and standard care without compression in patients with venous leg ulcers. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2012;26(1):102–10. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-3083.2011.04327.x.
- Gluhov АА, Аrаlоvа МV. Pathophysiology of persistent chronic wounds and current methods of stimulation of wound process. Novosti Khirurgii. 2015;23(6):673-679. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.18484/2305-0047.2015.6.673. [Article in Russian].
- Andia I, Abate M. Platelet-rich plasma: underlying biology and clinical correlates. Regen Med. 2013 Sep;8(5):645-58. doi: 10.2217/rme.13.59.
- Suthar M, Gupta S, Bukhari S, Ponemone V. Treatment of chronic non-healing ulcers using autologous platelet rich plasma: a case series. J Biomed Sci. 2017;24(1):16. doi: 10.1186/s12929-017-0324-1.
- Nagumo A, Yasuda K, Numazaki H, Azuma H, Tanabe Y, Kikuchi S, et al. Effects of separate application of three growth factors (TGF-beta1, EGF, and PDGF-BB) on mechanical properties of the in situ frozen-thawed anterior cruciate ligament. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2005; 20(3):283–90.
- Kasemkijwattana C, Menetrey J, Bosch P, Somogyi G, Moreland MS, Fu FH, et al. Use of growth factors to improve muscle healing after strain injury. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000; (370):272–85.
- Malanin DA, Novochadov VV, Demkin SA, Demidenko MV, Danilov DI. Autologous platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of patients with knee arthritis III stage. Traumatology and Orthopedics of Russia 2014;3(73):52-59. [Article in Russian].
- Mastikov AN, Wasdeikalo VP, Samsonova IV, Boloboshko KB. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of traumatic cartilage defects of articular surfaces. News surgery. 2013;21:3-9. [Article in Russian].
- Burnouf T, Strunk D, Koh MB, Schallmoser K. Human platelet lysate: Replacing fetal bovine serum as a gold standard for human cell propagation? Biomaterials. 2016;76:371-87. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2015.10.065.
- Molloy T, Wang Y, Murrell G. The roles of growth factors in tendon and ligament healing. Sports Med 2003; 33(5):381–94.
- Sánchez M1, Anitua E, Azofra J, Aguirre JJ, Andia I. Intra-articular injection of an autologous preparation rich in growth factors for the treatment of knee OA: a retrospective cohort study. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2008: 26(5):910–3.
- Gubanov MN, Kopchenko TG, Zhiburt EB. The choice of the method of producing a concentrate of platelets of the whole blood. Vestnik Sluzby Krovi Rossii. 2009;3:20-22. [Article in Russian].
- Tzeng YS, Deng SC, Wang CH, Tsai JC, Chen TM, Burnouf T. Treatment of nonhealing diabetic lower extremity ulcers with skin graft and autologous platelet gel: a case series. Biomed Res Int. 2013; 2013:837620 doi: 10.1155/2013/837620.
- Foster TE, Puskas BL, Mandelbaum BR, Gerhardt MB, Rodeo SA. Platelet-rich plasma: from basic science to clinical applications. Am J Sports Med. 2009;37(11):2259–72. doi: 10.1177/0363546509349921.
- Gluhov АА, Аrаlоvа МV. Evaluating the effectiveness of a combination of concentrated platelets and suspension of native collagen unreconstructed for the topical treatment of trophic ulcers of the small and medium-sized. Vestnik of Experimental and Clinical Surgery 2016;9(4):275-280. [Article in Russian].
- Moshiri A, Oryan A, Meimandi-Parizi A, Silver IA, Tanideh N, Golestani N. Effectiveness of hybridized nano- and microstructure biodegradable, biocompatible, collagen-based, three-dimensional bioimplants in repair of a large tendon-defect model in rabbits.J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2016 Jun;10(6):451-65. doi: 10.1002/term.1740.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
International Journal of Biomedicine. 2017;7(4):289-292. ©2017 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.