Assessment of the Space Weather Effect on Human Health in the Arctic Zone Using the Example of Tiksi Settlement
¹North-Eastern Federal University named after MK Ammosov, Yakutsk, the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), Russia; ²Institute of Cosmophysic Researches and Aeronomy named after Yu.G. Shafer, Siberian Branch of the RAS, Yakutsk, the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), Russia; ³Medical University named after V.I. Razumovsky, Saratov, Russia;°Bulunsky Central District Hospital, Tiksi, the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), Russia
*Corresponding author: Alena A. Strekalovskaya, PhD. M. K. Ammosov North-Eastern Federal University, Yakutsk, the Sakha Republic, Russia. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: March 15, 2018. doi: 10.21103/Article8(1)_OA9
In order to assess the space weather effect on the well-being and health of people with cardiovascular pathology in Arctic conditions, we carried out the processing and analysis of space weather parameters and the electronic database of patients with cardiovascular diseases at the Central District Hospital in Tiksi settlement (the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) (RS(Y)). Patients visited the polyclinic or requested an ambulance because their health had deteriorated. As a result of our research, we found some conjunctions of trends in the change in geomagnetic disturbances (Kp-index) and the number of patients' visits to medical institutions for arterial hypertension (AH) in 2015, 2016 and 2017. It can therefore be concluded that geomagnetic disturbances have an impact on the cardiovascular system of a person living at high latitudes.
1. Vladimircky BM., Kislovskiy .D. Solar activity and the biosphere. Moscow: Knowledge; 1982 [in Russian[
2. Andronov TI, Deryapa NR, Solomatin AP. Heliometeotropic reactions of a healthy and a sick person. Leningrad: Medicine; 1982. [in Russian].
3. Sidyakin VG. Temuryants N, Makeev VB, Vladimircky BM. Space ecology. Kiev: Science Dumka; 1985. [in Russian]
4. Komarov FI, Breus TK, Rapoport SI, Oraevskiĭ VN, Gurfinkel' IuI, Khalberg F, et al. [Biomedical effects of solar activity]. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk. 1994;(11):37-50. [Article in Russian].
5. Baevsky RM, Petrov VM, Cornelissen G, Halberg F, Orth-Gomer K, Akerstedt T, et al. Meta-analyzed heart rate variability, exposure to geomagnetic storms, and the risk of ischemic heart disease.. Scr Med (Brno). 1997 Jul;70(4-5):201-6.
6. Cornélissen G, Wendt HW, Guillaume F, Bingham C, Halberg F, Breus TK, et al. Disturbances of the interplanetary magnetic field and human pathology. Chronobiologia 1994;21:151–4.
7. Watanabe Y , Hillman DC , Otsuka K , Bingham C , Breus TK , Cornélissen G , Halberg F. Cross-spectral coherence between geomagnetic disturbance and human cardiovascular variables at non-societal frequencies. Chronobiologia. 1994;21(3-4):265-72.
8. Vladimirsky BM, Sidyakin VG, Temuryants NA, Makeev VB, Samohvalov VP. Space and biological rhythms. Simferopol: SGU; 1995. [in Russian]
9. Breus TK, Halberg G, Cornelissen G. [Effect of solar activity on the physiological rhythms of biological systems]. Biofizika. 1995 Jul-Aug;40(4):737-48. [Article in Russian].
10. Breus TK, Baevskiĭ RM, Nikulina GA, Chibisov SM, Chernikova AG, Pukhlianko M, et al. [Effect of geomagnetic activity on the human body in extreme conditions and correlation with data from laboratory observations]. Biofizika. 1998;43(5):811-8. [Article in Russian].
11. Lednev VV.[Bioeffects of weak static and alternating magnetic fields]. Biofizika. 1996;41(1):224-32. [Article in Russian].
12. Chibisov SM, Ovchinnikova LK, Breus TK. Biological rhythms of heart, and "external" stress. Moscow: Publishing House of The Peoples' Friendship University of Russia ; 1998. [in Russian].
13. Vladimirckiy BM, Temuryants NA. The impact of solar activity on the biosphere-noosphere. Moscow: MNEPU; 2000. [in Russian].
14. Yagodinsky VN. We are ruled by the space. Moscow: Ripol Klassik; 2003. [in Russian].
15. Breus TK, Rapoport SI. Magnetic storms: biomedical and geophysical aspects. Moscow; Soviet Sport; 2003. [in Russian]
16. Gurfinkel YuI. Coronary heart disease and solar activity. Moscow; IIKTS "Elf-3"; 2004. [in Russian].
17. Murtazov AK. Ecology of Near-Earth Space. Moscow:FIZMATLIT; 2004.[in Russian].
18. Kudryashov YuB, Perov YuF, Rubin AB. Radiation Biophysics. Moscow: FIZMATLIT; 2008. [in Russian].
19. Ragul’skaya MV, Rudenchik EA, Chibisov SM, Gromozova EN. Effects of Space Weather on Biomedical Parameters during the Solar Activity Cycles 23-24 Bull Exp Biol Med. 2015 Jun;159(2):269-72. doi: 10.1007/s10517-015-2939-0.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(1)56-59. ©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.