Fever as a Presentation of Tumoral Calcinosis: A Case Report
Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center; Bronx, NY, USA
*Corresponding author: Nga V. Nguyen, MD. Department of Internal Medicine, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Bronx, NY, USA. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: March 15, 2018. doi: 10.21103/Article8(1)_CR3
Tumoral calcinosis (TC) is a rare condition in which there is periarticular calcium deposition in the soft tissue forming a mass. The most common locations of TC are the larger joints such as the hip, shoulder, and knee, as well as the hands and wrists. Patients will often present with localized swelling, pain, and reduced joint mobility. We will discuss a 48-year-old male on hemodialysis who presented with a fever of unknown source and diffuse joint pain. He was found to have progressive, multiple tumor-like swellings on his shoulders, hands, and knees. He was diagnosed with TC and managed with a high dose phosphate binder with resolution of his fever and improvement in his pain.
- Binnani P, Aggarwal V, Bahadur M, Fulara N. Tumoral calcinosis (Teutschlander disease) in a dialysis patient. Indian J Nephrol. 2008;18(3):122-4. doi: 10.4103/0971-4065.43692.
- Hammert WC, Lindsay LR. Tumoral calcinosis --or is it? A case report and review. Hand (NY). 2009; 4(2):119-22. doi: 10.1007/s11552-008-9132-0.
- Inclan A. Tumoral calcinosis. JAMA. 1943;121:490-5.
- Smack D, Norton SA, Fitzpatrick JE. Proposal for a pathogenesis-based classification of tumoral calcinosis. Int J Dermatol 1996;35(4):265-71.
- Phanish MK, Kallarackal G, Ravanan R, Lawson TM, Baboolal K. Tumoral calcinosis associated with pyrexia and systemic inflammatory response in hemodialysis patients: successful treatment using intravenous pamidronate. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2000;15(10):1691-3.
- McGregor DH, Mowry M, Cherian R, McAnaw M, Poole E. Nonfamilial tumoral calcinosis associated with chronic renal failure and secondary hyperparathyroidism: report of two cases with clinicopathological, immunohistochemical, and electron microscopic findings. Hum Pathol. 1995; 26(6):607-13.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(1):75-78.
©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.