Impact of Metabolic Syndrome Components on Asthma Control and Life Quality of Patients
International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(1):33-36.
Originally published March 15, 2018
The purpose of this study was to assess the characteristics of the clinical course of asthma in patients with metabolic syndrome (MetS) and to analyze the influence of the MetS components on the course of asthma, control of asthma symptoms, and the the quality of life (QL) of patients with asthma.
Materials and Methods: We examined 95 asthma patients aged from 18 to 60 years. The patients were divided into 2 groups. Group 1 included 35 patients without MetS (24/68.6% women and 11/31.4% men; mean age, 49.81±0.77 years), and Group 2 included 60 patients with MetS(45/75.0% women and 15/25.0% men; mean age, 49.82±0.77 years).
Results: The patients with asthma and MetS have a more severe clinical course of asthma, with frequent exacerbations and uncontrolled asthma symptoms, low spirometry results and a low level of QL.
- Agrawal A, Mabalirajan U, Ahmad T, Ghosh B Emerging interface between metabolic syndrome and asthma. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2011;44(3):270-5. doi: 10.1165/rcmb.2010-0141TR. PubMed
- Tcvetikova LN, Budnevsky AV, Provotorov VM, Filatova YI. Features of bronchial asthma clinical course against the background of oxidative stress inhibition. Lechashchij vrach. 2017;2:79 [Article in Russian].
- WHO. Asthma. Fact sheet. Updated April 2017. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs307/en/
- Clinical guidelines. Asthma. Russian respiratory society, Pediatric respiratory society. 2016:76. [in Russian].
- Federal clinical guidelines on asthma diagnostics and therapy. 2016. Available from: http://spulmo.ru/obshchestvo/news/news-812/. [in Russian].
- Roytberg GE. Metabolic syndrome. Moscow: MEDpressinform; 2007. [in Russian].
- Lorenzo C, Williams K, J. Hunt K, M. Haffner S. The National Cholesterol Education Program–Adult Treatment Panel III, International Diabetes Federation, and World Health Organization Definitions of the Metabolic Syndrome as Predictors of Incident Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2007;30(1):8-13. PubMed
- Sysoeva MS, Solov'eva AV, Nikiforova LV, Rakita DR. Influence of metabolic syndrome on the course of bronchial asthma. Rossijskij mediko-biologicheskij vestnik imeni akademika I.P. Pavlova. 2011;(4):100-105. [Article in Russian].
- Brumpton B, Langhammer A, Romundstad P, Chen Y, Mai XM. General and abdominal obesity and incident asthma in adults: the HUNT study. Eur Respir J. 2013;41(2):323-9. doi: 10.1183/09031936.00012112. PubMed
- Latysheva E.A, Gendlin GE, Storozhakov GI, Kurbacheva OM. Hypotensive therapy at patients with combination of hypertension and bronchial asthma. Arterial'naya gipertenziya. 2009;1:71-77. [in Russian].
- Sideleva O, Suratt BT, Kendall E, William G, Richard E, Forgione P, et al. Obesity and asthma: аn inflammatory disease of adipose tissue not the airway. Am J Respir Crit Care Med.2012;186(7):598-605. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201203-0573OC. PubMed
- Mineev VN, Lalaeva TM, Vasil'eva TS, Trofimov VI. Phenotype of bronchial asthma with obesity. Pul'monologiya. 2012;2:102-107. [Article in Russian].
- Global strategy for asthma management and prevention (GINA, 2017 REPORT). Available from: file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/wmsGINA-2017-main-report-final_V2%20(1).pdf
- The IDF consensus worldwide definition of the Metabolic Syndrome, 2006. Available from: file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/IDF_Meta_def_final%20(2).pdf
Received January 25, 2018.
Accepted February 8, 2018.
©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.