The Assessment of Oxidative Stress Intensity in Adolescents with Obesity by the Integral Index
¹Scientific Centre for Family Health and Human Reproduction Problems, Irkutsk, the Russian Federation; ² Irkutsk State University, Irkutsk, the Russian Federation; ³M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, the Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Marina A. Darenskaya, PhD, ScD. Scientific Centre for Family Health and Human Reproduction Problems, Irkutsk, the Russian Federation. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: March 15, 2018. doi: 10.21103/Article8(1)_OA5
The aim of this research was to assess lipid peroxidation (LPO) and antioxidative defense (AOD) changes in adolescent boys with obesity using the integral index.
Materials and Methods: We examined 19 adolescent boys (mean age of 4.41±0.45 years) with obesity of the first degree (the study group). The control group included 23 healthy boys (mean age of 15.12±0.32 years). The study included the collection of anamnestic data, physical examination, and anthropometric data analysis (body weight (BW), height, waist circumference (WC), hip circumference (HC), and body mass index (BMI)). Laboratory analysis included an assessment of the levels of total cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL, LDL, and blood glucose, as well as the intensity of LPO and AOD in blood plasma and primary and secondary products of LPO. To measure the intensity of OS, the oxidative stress index (OSi) was calculated (the ratio of the LPO-AOD system indicators in the study group to average indicators in the control group).
Results: We found a statistically significant increase in BW, BMI, SDS BMI, WC, and HC in the study group compared to the control group. The obese patients had higher values of blood glucose, total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL compared to the control group. In the study group, we found a significant decrease in the concentration of diene conjugates and an increase in the level of ketodienes and conjugated trienes. The values of α-tocopherol and retinol, and SOD activity were significantly decreased in the study group compared to the control group. There were no statistically significant changes in total antioxidant activity and glutathione status components. According to the data received, the OSi level in the group of obese patients increased approximately 7 times, which confirms the results on the development of antioxidant insufficiency in this pathology.
- Tutelyan VA, Baturin AK, Kon IYa, Martinchik AN, Uglitskikh AK, Korosteleva MM, et al. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in child population of Russia: multicenter study Journal “Pediatria” named after G.N. Speransky. 2014;93(5):28-31. [Article in Russian].
- Pollack HA. The Problem of Obesity. J Health Polit Policy law. 2016;41(3):451-2. doi: 10.1215/03616878-3523996
- Kirk S, Armstrong S, King E, Trapp C, Grow M, Tucker J et al. Establishment of the Pediatric Obesity Weight Evaluation Registry: A National Research Collaborative for Identifying the Optimal Assessment and Treatment of Pediatric Obesity. Child Obes. 2017;13(1):9-17. doi: 10.1089/chi.2016.0060.
- Zhang Y, Wang S. Differences in development and the prevalence of obesity among children and adolescents in different socioeconomic status districts in Shandong, China. Ann Hum Biol. 2012;39(4):290-6. doi: 10.3109/03014460.2012.690888
- Soboleva NP, Rudnev SG, Nikolayev DV, Eryukova TA, Kolesnikov VA, Melnitchenko OA, et al.. The bio-impedance screening of population in health centers: prevalence of surplus body mass and obesity. Medical Journal of the Russian Federation. 2014;4:4-13. [Article in Russian].
- Wimalawansa SJ. Controlling obesity and its complications by elimination of causes and adopting healthy habits. Advances in Medical Sciences. 2014;3(1):1-15.
- Camacho S, Ruppel A. Is the calorie concept a real solution to the obesity epidemic? Global Health Action. 2017;10(1):1289650. doi: 10.1080/16549716.2017.1289650.
- Guénard F, Houde A, Bouchard L, Tchernof A, Deshaies Y, Biron S et al. Association of LIPA gene polymorphisms with obesity-related metabolic complications among severely obese patients. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012 Oct;20(10):2075-82. doi: 10.1038/oby.2012.52.
- Kolosov JuA, Kolesnikov SI, Anishhenko AP, Burdyukova EV, Gurevich KG. Overweight and obesity in children, adolescents and adults: causes of development and risk factors. Pathogenesis. 2016;14(4):9-14. [Article in Russian].
- Bost KK, Teran-Garcia M, Donovan SM, Fiese BH, STRONG Kids Team. Child body mass index, genotype and parenting in the prediction of restrictive feeding. Pediatric Obesity. 2017 Apr 21. doi: 10.1111/ijpo.12219. [Epub ahead of print]
- Furukawa S, Fujita T, Shimabukuro M. Iwaki M., Yamada Y, Nakajima Y et al. Increased oxidative stress in obesity and its impact on metabolic syndrome. J Clin Invest. 2017;114(12):1752-61.
- Kuleshova K, Davydov VV. Some peculiarities in the manifestation of oxidative stress and current status of antioxidant system in adolescents of different age groups with obesity, complicated by insulin resistance and without it. Biomeditsinskaya Khimiya . 2014;60(2):264-274. [Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Dolgikh VV, Polyakov VM, Rychkova LV. Problems of psychosomatic pathology of childhood age. Novosibirsk; 2005. [In Russian].
- Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Kolesnikov SI, Gavrilova OA, Kravtsova OV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikova LI Oxidative stress parameters in adolescent boys with exogenous-constitutional obesity. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2017;112:129-130.
- Kolesnikova LI, Dolgikh VV, Prokhorova ZV, Grebenkina LA, Vlasov BY, Ilyin VP. Peculiarities of the state of the system of lipid peroxidation of antioxidant protection" and exchange of calcium in children of adolescent age in essential arterial hypertension. Journal “Pediatria” named after G.N. Speransky. 2010;83(3):10-14. [Article in Russian].
- WHO. BMI-for-age (5-19 years) Available from: http://www.who.int/growthref/who2007_bmi_for_age/en/
- Volchegorskij IA, Nalimov AG, Jarovinskij BG. Comparison of different approaches to the determination of lipid peroxidation products in heptane-isopropanol extracts of blood. Questions of medical chemistry. 1989;35(1):127-131. [Article in Russian].
- Gavrilov VB, Gavrilova AR, Mazhulin LM. Analysis of methods for determining products of peroxide oxidation of lipids in blood serum according to the test with thiobarbituric acid. Voprosi Med Khimii. 1987;1:118–122. [Article in Russian].
- Hisin PJ, Hilf R. A fluorоmetric method for determination of oxidized and reduced glutathione in tissues. Anal Biochem. 1976;74:214–26.
- Misra HP, Fridovich I. The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem. 1972;247(10):3170-5.
- Cherniauskene RCh, Varshkiavichene ZZ, Gribauskas PS. [Simultaneous fluorometric determination of the concentrations of vitamins E and A in blood serum]. Lab Delo. 1984;(6):362–65. [Article in Russian].
- Klebanov GI, Babenkova IV, Teselkin IuO, Komarov OS, Vladimirov IuA. [Evaluation of the antioxidative activity of blood plasma using yolk lipoproteins]. Lab Delo. 1988;(5):59–62. [Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Semyonova NV, Grebenkina LA, Darenskaya MA, Suturina LV, Gnusina S. Integral indicator of oxidative stress in human blood. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2014;157(6):715-7. doi: 10.1007/s10517-014-2649-z.
- Zagoruiko MV, Bardymova TP, Rychkova LV. Obesity in children and adolescents. Siberian Medical Journal (Irkutsk). 2010;97(6):16-19.
- Fucho R, Casals N, Serra D, Herrero L. Ceramides and mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation in obesity. FASEB J. 2017;31(4):1263-72. doi: 10.1096/fj.201601156R.
- Marseglia L, Manti S, D’Angelo G, Nicotera A, Parisi E, Di Rosa G et al. Oxidative stress in obesity: a critical component in human diseases. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;16(1):378-400. doi:10.3390/ijms16010378
- Ceriello A, Taboga C, Tonutti L, Quagliaro L, Piconi L, Bais B, Da Ros R, Motz E. Evidence for an independent and cumulative effect of postprandial hypertriglyceridemia and hyperglycemia on endothelial dysfunction and oxidative stress generation: effects of short- and long-term simvastatin treatment. Circulation. 2002 Sep 3;106(10):1211-8.
- Parthasarathy S, Raghavamenon A, Garelnabi MO, Santanam N. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein.Methods Mol Biol. 2010;610:403-17. doi: 10.1007/978-1-60327-029-8_24.
- Wang B, Trayhurn P. Acute and prolonged effects of TNF-alpha on the expression and secretion of inflammation-related adipokines by human adipocytes differentiated in culture. Pflugers Arch. 2006 Jul;452(4):418-27.
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaja MA, Grebenkina LA, Osipova EV, Dolgikh MI, Natyaganova LV. [ The state of the antioxidant status of children of different ages]. Vopr Pitan. 2013;82(4):27-33. [Article in Russian].
- Niki E. Role of vitamin E as a lipid-soluble peroxyl radical scavenger: in vitro and in vivo evidence. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2014;66:3-12.
- Kartha VN, Krishnamurthy S.Antioxidant function of vitamin A.Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1977;47(4):394-401.
- Kodentsova VM, Vrzhesinskaia OA, Mazo VK. [Vitamins and oxidative stress]. Vopr Pitan 2013;82(3):11-8. [Article in Russian].
- Dao DQ, Ngo TC, Thong NM, Nam PC. Is Vitamin A an Antioxidant or a Pro-oxidant?J Phys Chem B. 2017 Oct 12;121(40):9348-9357. doi: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b07065.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(1):37-41. ©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.