International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(3):228-231.
Originally published September 15, 2018
The purpose of this study was to analyze the data of official medical statistics on mortality and disability in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) (RS(Y)) as a result of exposure to excessively low natural temperatures. For the retrospective epidemiological analysis, we used the data of the official statistics of RS(Y) for 2011-2015, data on the disability of the Federal State Institution "Main Bureau of Medical and Social Expertise of RS(Y)" for 2014-2016, and data of the burn department of the Center for Emergency Medical Care of Yakutsk for 2014-2016. In Yakutia, during 2011-2015, 662 people died in road accidents, and 812 died as a result of exposure to excessive natural cold; the mortality rates were 13.8 and 17.0 per 100,000 population, respectively. In the structure of external causes of mortality, the share of cold trauma in 2015 was 10.4% (15.1 per 100,000 population), which put cold trauma in the third rank after suicide and murders, having displaced road accidents in fourth place (5.6%, 7.8 per 100,000 population). The disability rate due to frostbites was 1.19 per 100,000 population in 2014 and 1.73 per 100,000 population in 2015 and 2016.
- Meiman JG, Anderson H, Tomasallo CD. Hypothermia-Related Deaths — Wisconsin, 2014, and United States, 2003–2013. Available from: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Hypothermia-Related-Deaths-%E2%80%94-Wisconsin%2C-2014%2C-and-Meiman-Anderson/9028c43b512bbecc95a440950fcfaacf29aad55c
- Brändström H, Johansson G, Giesbrecht GG, Ängquist KA, Haney MF. Accidental cold-related injury leading to hospitalization in northern Sweden: an eight-year retrospective analysis. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2014; 22:6. doi: 10.1186/1757-7241-22-6. PubMed
- Proceedings of the Interregional conference “Actual issues of thermal injury treatment.” Yakutsk; 2015.
- Ivanova А. Regional features of the premature mortality and economic damage assessment in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia). Abstract of ScD Thesis. Moscow;2016. [In Russian].
- Jurkovich GJ. Environmental cold-induced injury. Surg Clin North Am. 2007;87(1):247–67, viii. PubMed
- Aslam AF, Aslam AK, Vasavada BC. Khan IA. Hypothermia: evaluation, electrocardiographic manifestations, and management. Am J Med 2006;119(4):297–301. PubMed
Received May 29, 2018.
Accepted June 9, 2018.
©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.