International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(3):206-212.
Originally published September 15, 2018
The aim of this research was to study the parameters of fetal ultrasound imaging and Doppler ultrasound study in pregnant women with extragenital diseases (EGDs) during the treatment regimes with and without hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT).
Materials and Methods: A total of 235 pregnant women were examined prospectively at 5 to 40 weeks of gestation. The main group included 191 women with EGDs (anemia, arterial hypertension, chronic pyelonephritis); the control group included 44 women with physiological pregnancy without EGDs. Evaluation of treatment efficacy was based on data from clinical and laboratory findings before treatment and after its completion. The following hardware methods of research were performed: ultrasonography, fetometry, dopplerometric study of fetoplacental complex.
Results: Based on data obtained from this study, the following findings were made:
- In the early stages of gestation, there were no disturbances in fetoplacental blood circulation.
- Starting the 19th week of pregnancy, there is a significant increase in the uterine artery resistive index in pregnant women with arterial hypertension.
- In women with a high perinatal risk on the background of the studied EGDs, the third trimester of pregnancy, despite the ongoing conventional treatment, is characterized by persistent impairment in fetoplacental blood circulation.
- The inclusion of HBOT in complex therapy in the early stages of pregnancy in women with a high perinatal risk allows leveling out the inevitable disturbances in fetoplacental blood circulation on the background of the studied EGDs.
- Federal State Statistics Service. Rosstat. [Electronic resource]. http:// www.gks.ru (Reference date: September 15, 2015).
- In Radzinsky VE, Orazmuradov AA, editors. Early gestational age. 2nd ed., rev. version. M .: StatusPraesens; 2009. [In Russian]
- Radzinsky VE. Obstetric aggression. M.: StatusPraesens; 2011. [In Russian].
- Masukume G, Khashan AS, Kenny LC, Baker PN, Nelson G; SCOPE Consortium. Risk factors and birth outcomes of anaemia in early pregnancy in a nulliparous cohort. PLoS One. 2015;10(4):e0122729. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0122729. PubMed
- Lee AI, Okam MM. Anaemia in pregnancy. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2011;25(2):241-59, vii. doi: 10.1016/j.hoc.2011.02.001. PubMed
- Goonewardene M, Shehata M, Hamad A. Anaemia in pregnancy. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2012;26(1):3-24. doi: 10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2011.10.010. PubMed
- Haider BA, Olofin I, Wang M, Spiegelman D, Ezzati M, Fawzi WW; Nutrition Impact Model Study Group (anaemia). Anaemia, prenatal iron use, and risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2013;346:f3443. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f3443. PubMed
- Levy A, Fraser D, Katz M, Mazor M, Sheiner E. Maternal anaemia during pregnancy is an independent risk factor for low birthweight and preterm delivery. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005;122(2):182-6. PubMed
- Dotters-Katz SK, Heine RP, Grotegut CA. Medical and infectious complications associated with pyelonephritis among pregnant women at delivery. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2013;2013:124102. doi: 10.1155/2013/124102. PubMed
- Snyder CC, Barton JR, Habli M, Sibai BM. Severe sepsis and septic shock in pregnancy: indications for delivery and maternal and perinatal outcomes. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013;26(5):503-6. doi: 10.3109/14767058.2012.739221. PubMed
- Cunningham FG, Lucas MJ, Hankins GD. Pulmonary injury complicating antepartum pyelonephritis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987;156(4):797-807. PubMed
- Galajdova L. Pulmonary dysfunction in acute antepartum pyelonephritis and other pregnancy infections. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2010;30(7):654-8. doi: 10.3109/01443615.2010.501920. PubMed
- Drel IK, Molzhaninov EV, Samsonenko RA. [Effect of hyperbaric oxygenation on catecholamine metabolism in the placenta in late pregnancy toxicosis]. Akush Ginekol (Mosk). 1981;(3):16–29. [Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Denisov PI, Proshina IV, Sotnikova EI, Aslanov AG. [Placental scintigraphy--a diagnostic method for evaluating indications for hyperbaric oxygenation in pregnant women with high risk of perinatal pathology]. Akush Ginekol (Mosk). 1989;(9):25-7. [Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Davydkin NF, Denisov O, Artyukh YA. [The use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in treatment of chronic placental insufficiency]. J Restor Med Rehab. 2010;(5):65-67.[Article in Russian].
- Sparacia B. New Frontiers: HBO2 in Treatment of Fetal Growth Deficiencies. In: Oriani G, Marroni A, Wattel F, editors. Handbook on hyperbaric medicine. New York: Springer; 1996:791-808.
- Xiao XM, Wang YL, Long Y, Chen X. [The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on late-onset fetal growth restriction]. Chinese J Perinat Med. 2003,6(6):359-362. [Article in Chinese].
- Gill AL, Bell CN. Hyperbaric oxygen: its uses, mechanisms of action and outcomes. QJM 2004;97(7):385-95. PubMed
- Boerema I, Meyne NG, Brummelkamp WH, Bouma S, Mensch MH, Kamermans F, Stern Hanf M, van Aalderen. [Life without blood]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 1960;104:949-54. [Article in Dutch]. PubMed
- Bitterman H. Bench-to-bedside review: oxygen as a drug. Crit Care. 2009;13(1):205. doi: 10.1186/cc7151. PubMed
- Van Meter KW. The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on severe anemia. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2012;39(5):937–42. PubMed
- Kaide CG, Khandelwal S. Hyperbaric oxygen: applications in infectious disease. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2008;26(2):571-95, xi. doi: 10.1016/j.emc.2008.01.005. PubMed
- Kolpen M, Mousavi N, Sams T, Bjarnsholt T, Ciofu O, Moser C, et al. Reinforcement of the bactericidal effect of ciprofloxacin on Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm by hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2016;47(2):163-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2015.12.005. PubMed
- Kurt T, Vural A, Temiz A, Ozbudak E, Yener AU, Sacar S, Sacar M. Adjunctive hyperbaric oxygen therapy or alone antibiotherapy? Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus mediastinitis in a rat model. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2015 Sep-Oct;30(5):538-43. doi: 10.5935/1678-9741.20150055. PubMed
- Cimsit M, Uzun G, Yildiz S. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy as an anti-infective agent. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2009 Oct;7(8):1015-26. doi: 10.1586/eri.09.76. PubMed
- Fujita N, Ono M, Tomioka T, Deie M. Effects of hyperbaric oxygen at 1.25 atmospheres absolute with normal air on macrophage number and infiltration during rat skeletal muscle regeneration. PLoS One. 2014;9(12):e115685. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0115685. PubMed
- Hopf HW, Holm J. Hyperoxia and infection. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2008;22(3):553-69. PubMed
- Jain KK. Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine. Springer International Publishing AG; 2017.
- Benny M. Effectivity of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on lowering systolic blood pressure and heart rate among naval divers. J Hypertens. September 2016; LBPS 02-5.
- Lopez-Calderon EM, Guevara-Balcazar G, Osorio-Alonso H, Lara-Padilla E, Hong-Chong E, Ramirez-Sanchez I, Castillo-Hernandez MC. Modification of blood pressure and vascular reactivity to angiotensin II in the perfused heart of hypertensive rats treated with hyperbaric oxygenation. Biomedical Research 2017;28(1):145-51.
- Lindel K. Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Indications (Thirteenth Edition). The Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Committee Report 2014. Available from: https://www.uhms.org/resources/hbo-indications.html
- Cartlidge PH, Rutter N. Percutaneous oxygen delivery to the premature infant. Lancet. 1988;1(8581):315-7. PubMed
- Roman H, Saint-Hillier S, Dick Harms J, Duquenoy A, Barau G, Verspyck E, Marpeau L. [Gas embolism and hyperbaric oxygen treatment during pregnancy: a case report and a review of the literature]. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2002;31(7):663–7.[Article in French]. PubMed
- Wattel F, Mathieu D, Mathieu-Nolf M. [A 25-year study (1983-2008) of children’s health outcomes after hyperbaric oxygen therapy for carbon monoxide poisoning in utero]. Bull Acad Natl Med. 2013;197(3):677–94; discussion 695–7. [Article in French]. PubMed
- Orasmuradov AA, Paendi OL, Paendi FA. Modern Possibilities of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Pregnant Women with Anemia. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2014;4(2):82-84.
- Baidina SA, Gramenitskiy AB, Rubinchik BA. Manual of hyperbaric medicine. M: Medicine, 2008. [In Russian].
Received June 7, 2018.
Accepted July 3, 2018.
©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.