International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(4):324-326.
Originally published December 15, 2018
Ultrasound (US) for diagnosing acute appendicitis (AA) and its complications in the admission room may be used as a primary diagnostic method in urgent patients. A total of 180 adult patients underwent US for suspected appendicitis; these results showed high possibilities in pathology screening and differential diagnosis from similar clinical diseases. The accuracy of US in detecting AA with obvious clinical findings and typical position is 100%, but in retrocecal and retroperitoneal forms, it decreases to 84%. With our algorithm of the right iliac and localized pain regions, US scanning optimizes the screening of patients with suspected AA presented in the admission room.
- Yabunaka K, Katsuda T, Sanada S, Yatake H, Fukotomi T. Sonographic examination of the appendix in acute infectious enteritis and acute appendicitis. J Clin Ultrasound. 2008;36(2):63-6. PubMed
- Mohamad Ghasem Hanafi MG, Afshin Shiri A. Diagnostic Accuracy of Acute Appendicitis by Ultrasound in Hospital Emergency. Jentashapir J Health Res. 2018;9(3):e82639.
- Hussain S, Rahman A, Abbasi T, Aziz T. Diagnostic accuracy of ultrasonography in acute appendicitis. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2014;26(1):12-7. PubMed
- Cohen B, Bowling J, Midulla P, Shlasko E, Lester N, Rosenberg H, et al. The non-diagnostic ultrasound in appendicitis: is a non-visualized appendix the same as a negative study? J Pediatr Surg. 2015;50(6):923-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2015.03.012. PubMed
- Shogilev DJ, Duus N, Odom SR, Shapiro Nl. Diagnosing appendicitis: evidence-based review of the diagnostic approach in 2014. West J Emerg Med. 2014;15(7):859-71. doi: 10.5811/westjem.2014.9.21568. PubMed
- Ly DL, Khalili K, Gray S, Atri M, Hanbidge A, Thipphavong S. When the appendix is not seen on ultrasound for right lower quadrant pain: does the interpretation of emergency department physicians correlate with diagnostic performance? Ultrasound Q. 2016;32(3):290-5. doi: 10.1097/RUQ.0000000000000214. PubMed
- Orscheln ES, Trout AT. Appendiceal diameter: CT versus sonographic measurements. Pediatr Radiol. 2016;46(3):316-21. doi: 10.1007/s00247-015-3491-9. PubMed
Received October 1, 2018.
Accepted October 23, 2018.
©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.