International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(4):301-305.
Originally published December 15, 2018
The aim of this research was to investigate LPO activity in adolescents with arterial hypertension (AH) and periodontal disease (PD) and to establish the relationship between LPO-AOD parameters and the state of regional periodontal blood flow.
Materials and Methods: A total of 113 adolescent boys and girls participated in the research (age range of 12 to 17 years). The participants were divided into 3 groups: a comparison group with PD, a clinical group with AH and without PD, and a clinical group with AH and PD. We estimated the plasma level of antioxidant parameters (total antioxidant activity, SOD activity, α-tocopherol and retinol) and primary/secondary products of LPO (conjugated dienes, ketodienes and conjugated trienes, and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances [TBARS]) using spectrophotometric and fluorometric methods. Doppler ultrasound was used to assess the hemodynamics of the microvasculature of the periodontium: the resistivity index (RI) and pulsation index (PI) were calculated.
Results: our results indicate an increase of the imbalance in LPO-AOD system in patients with AH and PD. This imbalance is manifested in the accumulation of TBARS, thus decreasing the activity of antioxidant protection factors (α-tocopherol and SOD), as well as in the presence of pathological relationships between the parameters of LPO and indicators characterizing a decrease in vascular blood flow. These changes indicate the rapid involvement of LPO processes in the pathogenic mechanisms of developing structural and functional disorders of periodontal tissues in AH. These changes may be associated with a pronounced functional overload of periodontal tissues in the presence of inflammation. The changes in the velocity characteristics of blood flow in periodontal tissues in adolescents with AH are associated with increasing the toxic lipoperoxide metabolites and are important diagnostic criteria of regional hemodynamic disorders.
- Kolesnikova LI, Dolgikh VV, Prokhorova ZhV, Grebenkina LA, Vlasov BYa, Ilyin VP. [Peculiarities of the state of the system "Lipid peroxidation-antioxidant protection" and calcium metabolism in adolescent children with essential arterial hypertension]. Pediatria. Journal n.a. G.N. Speransky. 2010;89(3):10-14. [Article in Russian].
- Pogodina AV, Dolgikh VV, Rychkova LV. [Uric acid and factors of cardiometabolic risk in adolescents with arterial hypertension]. Kardiologiia. 2014;54(7):36-42. [Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Sycheva YuA. [Violations of regional hemodynamic of the processes of free radical oxidation and apoptosis in patients with hypertensive disease with inflammatory periodontal diseases]. Stomatologist. 2014;1:55-57. [Article in Russian].
- Leong XF, Ng CY, Badiah B, Das S. Association between hypertension and periodontitis: possible mechanisms. ScientificWorldJournal. 2014;2014:768237. doi: 10.1155/2014/768237. eCollection 2014. PubMed
- Gorbacheva IA, Orexova LYu, Sycheva YuA. [The importance of apoptosis and the processes of protein peroxidation against the background of microcirculation disorders in the pathogenesis of hypertension and inflammatory periodontal diseases]. Parodontologiia. 2011;2(59):59-61. [Article in Russian].
- Tsiropoulou S, Dulak-Lis M, Montezano AC, Touyz КM. Biomarkers of oxidative stress in human hypertension. In: Emmanuel A. Andreadis, Editor. Hypertension and Cardiovascular Disease. Springer International Publishing Switzerland; 2016:151-170.
- Montezano AC, Dulak-Lis M, Tsiropoulou S, Touyz КM. Oxidative stress and human hypertension: vascular mechanisms, biomarkers, and novel therapies. Can J Cardiol. 2015 May;31(5):631-41. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2015.02.008. PubMed
- Gumus P, Huseyinalemdaroglu B, Buduneli N. The role of oxidative stress in the interaction of periodontal disease with systemic diseases or conditions. Oxid Antioxid Med Sci. 2016;5(2):33-3817:18.
- Kamyshnikov VS. Handbook on clinical and biochemical studies and laboratory diagnostics (Third Ed.). M.: MEDpress-inform; 2009. [In Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI. [Free radical oxidation: a pathophysiologist's view]. Bulletin of Siberian Medicine. 2017;16(4):16-29. [Article in Russian].
- Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI, Rychkova LV, Grebenkina LA, Semenova NV, Kolesnikova LI. Evaluation of lipid peroxidation parameters in small nationality - tofalars, living in Siberia. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2017;112:162-163. Google Scholar
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Semenova NV, Grebenkina LA, Suturina LV, Dolgikh MI et al. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant protection in girls with type 1 diabetes mellitus during reproductive system development. Medicina (Kaunas). 2015;51(2):107-111. PubMed
- Darenskaya MA, Gavrilova OA, Rychkova LV, Kravtsova OV, Grebenkina LA, Osipova EV et al. The assessment of oxidative stress intensity in adolescents with obesity by the integral index. International Journal of Biomedicine.2018;8(1)37-41. Google Scholar
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Gnusina SV. Antioxidant status of two ethnic groups' adolescent girls with diabetes mellitus type 1. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics. 2015:17(1):421-422. Google Scholar
- Peluso I, Raguzzini A. Salivary and urinary total antioxidant capacity as biomarkers of oxidative stress in humans. Patholog Res Int. 2016;2016:5480267. doi: 10.1155/2016/5480267. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Nikitina OA, Lazareva LM, et al. Activity of LPO processes in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome and infertility. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;162(3):320-322. doi: 10.1007/s10517-017-3605-5. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Dolgikh MI, Astakhova TA, Semenova NV. Gender differences in parameters of lipid metabolism and of level of antioxidants in groups of juveniles-the Even and the Europeans. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol. 2014;50(1):31-7. [Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Semyonova NV, Grebenkina LA, Darenskaya MA, Suturina LV, Gnusina S. Integral indicator of oxidative stress in human blood. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2014;157(6):715-7. doi: 10.1007/s10517-014-2649-z. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Grebenkina LA, Semenova NV, Gavrilova OA. Antioxidant status in adolescents of small Siberian ethnoses. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol. 2018;54(2):130-136. Google Scholar
- Kubarko AI, Alexandrov DA, Basharkevich NA. Hemodynamics. Functional indicators of blood circulation in questions and answers: study guide. Minsk: BSMU, 2012.[In Russian].
- Teregulov YuE, Mayanskaya SD, Teregulova ET. [Changes in elastic properties of arteries and hemodynamic processes]. Practical Medicine. 2017;2(103):14-20. [Article in Russian].
- Miricescu D, Greabu M, Totan A, Mohora M, Didilescu A, Mitrea N, et al. Oxidative stress—A possible link between systemic and oral diseases. Farmacia. 2011;59:329–337.
- Chen HW, Zhou W, Liao Y, Song ZC. Analysis of metabolic profiles of generalized aggressive periodontitis. J Periodontal Res. 2018;53(5):894-901. doi: 10.1111/jre.12579. PubMed
- Sperr M, Kundi M, Tursic V, Bristela M, Moritz A, Andrukhov O, et al. Prevalence of Comorbidities in Periodontitis Patients Compared to the General Austrian Population. J Periodontol. 2017 Aug 28:1-13. doi: 10.1902/jop.2017.170333. PubMed
- Goroshko OA, Novikov KN, Kukes VG, Voeikov VL, Arkhipov VV, Buravleva EV, et al. [Correction of oxidative stress in patients with chronic cerebral ischemia]. Klinicheskaya Meditsina. 2016;94(7):549-553. [Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Gavrilova OA, Zhdanova LV, Bimbaev ABZh, Grebenkina LA, et al. Lipid peroxidation parameters in Mongoloid-patients with obesity and hepatosis. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2018;120(S1):S61. Google Scholar
- Sycheva YuA, Gorbacheva IA, Orexova LYu. [The role of violation of regional microcirculation and metabolic disorders in the pathogenesis of hypertension and inflammatory periodontal diseases]. Parodontology. 2014;2(71):32-35. [Article in Russian].
- Dorovskich VA, Simonova NV, Pereverzev DI. [Comparative efficacy of cytoflavin and its constituent components in oxidative stress in the experiment]. Experimental clinical pharmacology. 2017;80(4):18-22. [Article in Russian].
Received October 25, 2018.
Accepted November 19, 2018.
©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.