International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(4):306-310.
Originally published December 15, 2018
The aim of this research was to study changes in the LPO-AOD processes in Mongoloid and Caucasian teenagers with exogenous constitutional obesity (ECO), including those complicated by non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
Materials and Methods: A total of 18 Mongoloid teenage boys and 17 Caucasian teenage boys with NAFLD (Clinical group 1 and Clinical group 2, respectively) on the background of ECO of the first degree were examined. For comparison, data of 37 apparently healthy Mongoloid teenage boys (Control group 1) and 23 Caucasian teenage boys (Control group 2) was used. The plasma level of antioxidant parameters (total antioxidant activity [TTA], SOD activity, α-tocopherol and retinol) and primary/secondary products of LPO (conjugated dienes [CD], ketodienes and conjugated trienes [KD-CT], and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances [TBARS]) were determined using spectrophotometric and fluorometric methods.
Results: Evaluation of the activity of LPO reactions in Clinical group 1 indicated an increase in the content of compounds with DB relative to Control group 1. A similar trend was found in the concentration of CD and KD-CT. In Clinical group 2, we found a statistically significant increase only in the values of KD-CT. In the parameters of the AOD system, multidirectional changes of patients parameters compared with the control group were observed in Clinical group 1: the increased values of TAA, SOD activity, and reduced levels of α-tocopherol, retinol, and GSSG. In Clinical group 2, lower values of α-tocopherol, GSSG, and SOD activity were observed relative to Control group 2. Differences between the two ethnic groups were present in the control groups—the reduced level of TAA, GSH and the increased level of GSSG in the group of Mongoloids; just as in clinical groups with NAFLD, a high level of SOD activity was observed in Mongoloids compared to Caucasians.
Conclusion: The changes revealed in the redox state in Mongoloid and Caucasian teenagers with ECO and NAFLD indicate high activity of LPO processes and severe deficiency of antioxidant vitamins in patients of both ethnic groups. The obtained results allow us to recommend administration of antioxidant drugs in addition to courses of metabolic therapy in comprehensive treatment of patients with ECO and NAFLD.
- Korotkaja NN, Bekezin VV, Borsukov AV, Peresetskaja OV, Druzhinina TV, Pleskachevskaja TA. [Efficacy of phosphogliv in adolescents with fatty hepatosis]. Vestnik Smolenskoy Gosudarstvennoy Medicinskoy Akademii. 2017;16(2):107-113. [Article in Russian].
- Kirk S, Armstrong S, King E, Trapp C, Grow M, Tucker J, et al. Establishment of the Pediatric Obesity Weight Evaluation Registry: A National Research Collaborative for Identifying the Optimal Assessment and Treatment of Pediatric Obesity. Child Obes. 2017;13(1):9-17. doi: 10.1089/chi.2016.0060. PubMed
- Marion AW, Baker AJ, Dhawan A. Fatty liver disease in children. Arch Dis Child. 2004;89 (7):648-652. PubMed
- Heymsfield SB, Wadden TA. Mechanisms, Pathophysiology, and Management of Obesity. N Engl J Med. 2017;376(3):254-266. doi: 10.1056/NEJMra1514009. PubMed
- Angulo P. Obesity and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Nutr Rev. 2007;65(6 Pt 2):S57-63. PubMed
- Sheth SG, Chopra S. Epidemiology, clinical features, and diagnosis of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in adults. Waltham (MA): UpToDate; 2017.
- Mehta K, Van Thiel DH, Shah N, Mobarhan S. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: pathogenesis and the role of antioxidants. Nutr Rev. 2002;60 (9):289-293. PubMed
- Lirussi F1, Azzalini L, Orando S, Orlando R, Angelico F. Antioxidant supplements for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and/or steatohepatitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007;24(1):CD004996. PubMed
- Camacho S, Ruppel A. Is the calorie concept a real solution to the obesity epidemic? Glob Health Action. 2017;10(1):1289650. doi: 10.1080/16549716.2017.1289650. PubMed
- Tutelyan VA, Baturin AK, Kon IYa. [The prevalence of obesity and overweight among the Russian children's population: a multicentre study]. Pediatria. Journal n.a. G.N. Speransky. 2014;93(5):28-31. [Article in Russian].
- Kolosov YuA, Kolesnikov SI, Anischenko AP, Burdukova EV, Gurevich KG. [Overweight and obesity in children, adolescents and adults: causes of development and risk factors]. Patogenez [Pathogenesis].2016;14(4):9-14. [Article in Russian].
- Pollack H.A. The Problem of Obesity. J Health Polit Policy Law. 2016;41(3):451-2. doi: 10.1215/03616878-3523996. PubMed
- Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Kolesnikov SI., et al. Oxidative stress parameters in adolescent boys with exogenous-constitutional obesity. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2017;112:129-30. Goggle Scholar
- Kolesnikova LI, Semyonova NV, Grebenkina LA, Darenskaya MA, Suturina LV, Gnusina S. Integral indicator of oxidative stress in human blood. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2014;157(6):715-7. doi: 10.1007/s10517-014-2649-z. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaia MA, Grebenkina LA, Suturina LV, Labygina AV, Semenova NV, et al. [Characteristics of the antioxidant system of healthy people of main ethnic groups living near Baikal Lake]. Vopr Pitan. 2012;81(3):46-51.[Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Dolgikh MI, Astakhova TA, Semenova NV. [Gender differences in parameters of lipid metabolism and of level of antioxidants in groups of juveniles--the Evenks and the europeans]. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol. 2014 Jan-Feb;50(1):31-7.[Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Labygina AV, Suturina LV, Dolgikh MI, et al. Activity of lipid peroxidation in infertile women from different populations. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2012;154(2):203-5. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Semenova NV, Osipova EV, et al. Lipid Status and Predisposing Genes in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 from Various Ethnic Groups. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2015;160(2):278-80. doi: 10.1007/s10517-015-3149-5. PubMed
- Volchegorskiĭ IA, Nalimov AG, Iarovinskiĭ BG, Lifshits RI. [Comparison of various approaches to the determination of the products of lipid peroxidation in heptane-isopropanol extracts of blood]. Vopr Med Khim. 1989;35(1):127-31.[Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Gavrilov VB, Gavrilova AR, Mazhul' LM. [Methods of determining lipid peroxidation products in the serum using a thiobarbituric acid test].Vopr Med Khim. 1987 Jan-Feb;33(1):118-22.[Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Klebanov GI, Babenkova IV, Teselkin IuO, Komarov OS, Vladimirov IuA. [Evaluation of the antioxidative activity of blood plasma using yolk lipoproteins].Lab Delo. 1988;(5):59-62.[Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Cherniauskene RCh, Varshkiavichene ZZ, Gribauskas PS. [Simultaneous fluorometric determination of the concentrations of vitamins E and A in blood serum]. Lab Delo. 1984;(6):362-5.[Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Hisin PJ, Hilf R. A fluorоmetric method for determination of oxidized and reduced glutathione in tissues. Anal Biochem. 1976;74(1):214–26. PubMed
- Misra HP, Fridovich I. The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem. 1972;247(10):3170–5. PubMed
- Furukawa S, Fujita T, Shimabukuro M, Iwaki M, Yamada Y, Nakajima Y, et al. Increased oxidative stress in obesity and its impact on metabolic syndrome. J Clin Invest. 2004;114(12):1752-61. PubMed
- Darenskaya MA, Gavrilova OA, Rychkova LV, Kravtsova OV, Grebenkina LA, Osipova EV, et al. The assessment of oxidative stress intensity in adolescents with obesity by the integral index. International Journal of Biomedicine.2018;8(1)37-41. Google Scholar
- McCullough AJ.Pathophysiology of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2006;40 Suppl 1:S17-29. PubMed
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Dolgikh MI, Semenova NV. [Adaptive reactions of lipid metabolism in native and alien female representatives of Tofalaria population living under extreme environmental conditions]. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol. 2014;50(5):343-8.[Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Kodentsova VM, Vrzhesinskaia OA, Mazo VK. [Vitamins and oxidative stress]. Vopr Pitan. 2013;82(3):11-8. [Article in Russian]. PubMed
- Dadali VA, Tutel'ian VA, Dadali IuV, Kravchenko LV. [Carotenoids. Biological activities]. Vopr Pitan. 2011;80(4):4-18. [Article in Russian]. PubMed
Received November 2, 2018.
Accepted December 2, 2018.
©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.