International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(1):48-51.
Originally published March 15, 2019
The purpose of this study was to explore the relationship between psycho-physiological markers of human health and dermatoglyphic indicators in young people.
Materials and Methods: The study included 920 healthy volunteers aged between 18 and 21 years. All volunteers underwent the following examinations: EEG, an assessment of the anxiety level according to the BAI, and dermatoglyphic scanning.
Results: According to the data obtained, there was a statistically significant strong negative correlation between the stress load indicator and dermatoglyphic data, such as the summary delta index (DI) and summary ridge count. A strong positive correlation was found between the percentage of whorls and stress (r=0.88). The predominant increase in anxiety is characteristic of persons with total ridge count (TRC) on the thumb of the right hand in the range from 19 to 23.
Conclusion: Results demonstrate the interrelationships (association) between psycho-physiological (anxiety level, stress load indicator) and dermatoglyphic markers (DI, TRC and whorl pattern type) in young healthy people.
- Kasey W. Fingerprint Sourcebook-Chapter 3: Embryology, Physiology, and Morphology of Friction Ridge Skin. Washington, DC: United States Department of Justice National Institute of Justice; 2011.
- Mulvihill JJ, Smith DW. The genesis of dermatoglyphics. J Pediatr. 1969;75(4):579-89.
- Medland SE, Loesch DZ, Mdzewski B, Zhu G, Montgomery GW, Martin NG. Linkage analysis of a model quantitative trait in humans: finger ridge count shows significant multivariate linkage to 5q14.1. PLoS Genet. 2007;3(9): 1736-44.
- Bozhchenko АP, Rigonen VI. [Relationship of Anthropometric and Dermatoglyphic Traits in Men of Karelian and Russian Ethnic Groups]. Journal of Anatomy and Histopathology. 2016; 5(2):15-20. [Article in Russian].
- Rakitin VA, Kir'yanov PA. [The choice of the finger dermatoglyphic patterns for the dermatoglyphic studies depending on the functional activity of the hands]. Sud Med Ekspert. 2017;60(2):21-26. doi: 10.17116/sudmed201760221-26. [Article in Russian].
- Pisharody AS, Pargaonkar S, Kulkarni VY. Fingerprint classification and building a gender prediction model using random forest algorithm. International Journal of Knowledge Engineering and Data Mining. 2015;3(3-4):286-298.
- Adjimi A, Hacine-Gharbi A, Ravier Ph, Mostefai M. Extraction and selection of binarised statistical image features for fingerprint recognition. Int J Biometrics. 2017;9(1):67-80. Doi: 10.1504/IJBM.2017.084133
- Medvedeva NN, Shulmin AV, Nikolaev VG, Derevtsova SN, Sindeeva LV, Romanenko AA, et al. Relations between somatic, neurophysiological and psychophysiologicsal markers of human health. Archiv Euromedica. 2017;7:41-45.
- Medvedeva NN, Nikolaev VG, Derevtsova SN, Sindeeva LV, Romanenko АА, Petrova MM, et al. [Evaluation of somatic and neuropsychological human health]. Siberian Medical Review. 2016;(3):73-80. doi: 10.20333/25000136-2016-3-73-80 [Article in Russian].
- Nikolaev VG, Medvedeva NN, Shul'min АV, Sindeeva LV, Derevtsova SN. [Biophysical markers and their role in assessing a person’s physical status]. Siberian Medical Review 2013;84(6):30-32. [Article in Russian].
- Park JM, Fertig AR, Allison PD. Physical and mental health, cognitive development, and health care use by housing status of low-income young children in 20 American cities: a prospective cohort study. Am J Public Health. 2011;101 Suppl 1:S255-61. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2010.300098.
- Parveen Ojha GG. Dermatoglyphic study: A comparison in hands of type II diabetes mellitus patients and normal persons of Udaipur Region. J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2014;3:11358–68.
- Dondé C, D'Amato T, Rey R. Dermatoglyphics patterns abnormalities as putative markers of psychometric-risk for schizophrenia. Psychiatr Danub. 2018;30(1):109-111.
- Golembo-Smith S, Walder DJ, Daly MP, Mittal VA, Kline E, Reeves G, Schiffman J. The presentation of dermatoglyphic abnormalities in schizophrenia: a meta-analytic review. Schizophr Res. 2012;142(1-3):1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2012.10.002.
- Wijerathne BT, Meier RJ, Agampodi SB. The status of dermatoglyphics as a biomarker of Tel Hashomer camptodactyly syndrome: a review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2016;10(1):258. doi: 10.1186/s13256-016-1048-7.
- Gazenkampf KA, Dmitrenko DV, Shnayder NA, Medvedeva NN, Nikolaev VG, Romanenko AA, et al. [Characteristics of the alpha rhythm and interhemispheric coherence coefficient as markers of interhemispheric integration in adolescents]. Modern problems of science and education. 2015;(4). Available from: www.science-education.ru/127-20487. [Article in Russian].
- Shnajder NА, Nikolaev VG, Medvedeva NN, Vasil'eva E.E, Pen OV, Gazenkampf KА, et al. [Coefficient of inter-hemispheric coherence as the indicator of brain integrative processes at healthy people of youthful age]. Izvestia of Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2014;16(5(4)):1351-1353. [Article in Russian].
- Gazenkampf KА, Shnayder NА, Dmitrenko DV, Medvedeva NN, Nikolaev VG, Romanenko АА, et al. [State self-assessment, training and interpersonal anxiety as Markers neyropsihofiziologicheskogo health of first-year students medical university]. Modern problems of science and education. 2015;(4). Available from: https://www.science-education.ru/en/article/view?id=20491 [Article in Russian].
- Winblad NE, Changaris M, Stein PK. Effect of Somatic Experiencing Resiliency-Based Trauma Treatment Training on Quality of Life and Psychological Health as Potential Markers of Resilience in Treating Professionals. Front Neurosci. 2018 Feb 16;12:70. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2018.00070. eCollection 2018.
- Beck AT, Epstein N, Brown G, Steer RA. An Inventory for Measuring Clinical Anxiety: Psychometric Properties. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1988; 56: 893-897
- Romanenko АА, Derevtsova SN, Petrova MM, Medvedeva NN, Nikolaev VG, Sindeeva LV, Shulmin AV. [Dermatoglyphic patterns of distal phalanx of adolescent male]. International Journal of Applied and Fundamental Research. 2017;7 (1):102-106. [Article in Russian].
- Romanenko АА, Derevtsova SN, Medvedeva NN. [Dermatoglyphic fingerprints features of adolescent women]. The Transbaikalian Medical Bulletin. 2017;2:142-147. [Article in Russian].
- Pakhale SV, Borole BS, Doshi MA, More VP. Study of the fingertip pattern as a tool for the Identification of the dermatoglyphic trait in bronchial asthma. J Clin Diagn Res. 2012;6(8):1397-1400. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2012/4734.2368.
- Nasledov AD. SPSS 19: professional statistical data analysis. Publisher: SPb: Piter; 2011. [In Russian].
Received November 22, 2018.
Accepted January 10, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.