International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(1):72-74.
Originally published March 15, 2019
Data from 3 medical centers of Tashkent city, in which 156 patients (76 men and 80 women) with pituitary macroadenomas (PMA) and giant pituitary adenomas (GPA) were treated during 3 years (between 2015 and 2017), were retrospectively analyzed. The results of the study showed that the different variants of PMA/GPA suprasellar growth might serve as a neuroimaging marker of tumor aggressiveness, namely, supra-infra-latesellar and supra-infra-tellular growth observed in 68 (43.5%) patients, as well as invasive tumor growth in 108 (69.2%) patients. Transsphenoidal removal is a relatively safe and effective method, even in MPA and GPA with suprasellar extensions, in most of the cases.
- Asa SL, Ezzat S. The pathogenesis of pituitary tumours. Nat Rev Cancer. 2002;2(11):836–49.
- Scheithauer BW, Kovacs KT, Laws ER Jr, Randall RV. Pathology of invasive pituitary tumors with special reference to functional classification. J Neurosurg. 1986;65(6):733–44.
- Colao A, Grasso LF, Pivonello R, Lombardi G. Therapy of aggressive pituitary tumors. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2011;12(10):1561-70. doi: 10.1517/14656566.2011.568478.
- Lloyd RV, Kovacs K, Young WF Jr., et al. Pituitary tumours: introduction. In: DeLellis RA, Lloyd RV, Heitz PU, Eng C, editors. Tumours of the Pituitary, Chapter 1. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of Endocrine Organs. Lyon, Paris: World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. IARC Press; 2004.
- Shrivastava RK, Arginteanu MS, King WA, Post KD. Giant prolactinomas: clinical management and long-term follow up. J Neurosurg. 2002;97(2):299-306.
- Goel A, Nadkarni T, Muzumdar D, Desai K, Phalke U, Sharma P. Giant pituitary tumors: a study based on surgical treatment of 118 cases. Surg Neurol. 2004;61(5):436-45; discussion 445-6.
- Gruppetta M, Vassallo J. Epidemiology and radiological geometric assessment of pituitary macroadenomas: population-based study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2016;85(2):223-31. doi: 10.1111/cen.13064.
- Garibi J, Pomposo I, Villar G, Gaztambide S. Giant pituitary adenomas: clinical characteristics and surgical results. Br J Neurosurg. 2002;16(2):133-9.
- Zakir JC, Casulari LA, Rosa JW, Rosa JW, de Mello PA, de Magalhães AV, Naves LA. Prognostic Value of Invasion, Markers of Proliferation, and Classification of Giant Pituitary Tumors, in a Georeferred Cohort in Brazil of 50 Patients, with a Long-Term Postoperative Follow-Up. Int J Endocrinol. 2016;2016:7964523. doi: 10.1155/2016/7964523.
- Espinosa E, Sosa E, Mendoza V, Ramírez C, Melgar V, Mercado M. Giant prolactinomas: are they really different from ordinary macroprolactinomas? Endocrine. 2016;52(3):652-9. doi: 10.1007/s12020-015-0791-7.
- Chohan MO, Levin AM, Singh R, Zhou Z, Green CL, Kazam JJ, Tsiouris AJ, Anand VK, Schwartz TH. Three-dimensional volumetric measurements in defining endoscope-guided giant adenoma surgery outcomes. Pituitary. 2016;19(3):311-21. doi: 10.1007/s11102-016-0709-2.
- Graillon T, Castinetti F, Fuentes S, Gras R, Brue T, Dufour H. Transcranial approach in giant pituitary adenomas: results and outcome in a modern series. J Neurosurg Sci. 2017 Jan 12. doi: 10.23736/S0390-5616.16.03889-3.
- Han S, Gao W, Jing Z, Wang Y, Wu A. How to deal with giant pituitary adenomas: transsphenoidal or transcranial, simultaneous or two-staged? J Neurooncol. 2017;132(2):313-321. doi: 10.1007/s11060-017-2371-6.
- Landolt AM. History of pituitary surgery. In: Greenblatt SH, ed. A History of Neurosurgery. In its Scientific and Professional Contexts. Park Ridge, IL. American Association of Neurological Surgeons; 1997:373-400.
- Landolt AM. Transsphenoidal surgery of pituitary tumors: its pitfalls and complications. Prog Neurol Surg. 1990;13:1-30.
- Laws ER Jr, Ebersold MJ. Pituitary apoplexy--an endocrine emergency. World J Surg. 1982;6(6):686-8.
- Landeiro JA, Fonseca EO, Monnerat AL, Taboada GF, Cabral GA, Antunes F. Nonfunctioning giant pituitary adenomas: Invasiveness and recurrence. Surg Neurol Int. 2015;6:179. doi: 10.4103/2152-7806.170536. eCollection 2015.
- Black PM, Zervas NT, Candia G. Management of large pituitary adenomas by transsphenoidal surgery. Surg Neurol. 1988;29(6):443–7.
- Mortini P, Barzaghi R, Losa M, Boari N, Giovanelli M. Surgical treatment of giant pituitary adenomas: strategies and results in a series of 95 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery. 2007;60(6):993-1002; discussion 1003-4.
- Saito K, Kuwayama A, Yamamoto N, Sugita K. The transsphenoidal removal of nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas with suprasellar extensions: the open sella method and intentionally staged operation. Neurosurgery. 1995;36(4):668-75; discussion 675-6.
- Hashimoto N, Handa H, Yamashita J, Yamagami T. Long term follow-up of large or invasive pituitary adenomas. Surg Neurol. 1986;25(1):49–54.
- Matsuyama J, Kawase T, Yoshida K, Hasegawa M, Hirose Y, Nagahisa S, Watanabe S, Sano H. Management of large and giant pituitary adenomas with suprasellar extensions. Asian J Neurosurg. 2010;5(1):48-53.
- Kadashev BA. Pituitary adenomas: clinic, diagnosis, treatment M., 2007. [In Russian].
- Dedov AI, Belenkov YUN, Belichenko OI, Melnichenko GA. Magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of diseases of the hypothalamic-pituitary system and adrenal glands. M .: Meditsina, 1997. [In Russian].
Received January 26, 2019.
Accepted February 26, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.