International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):134-138.
Originally published June 15, 2019
This article presents the experience of using the modified Mannheim Peritonitis Index (MPI) score with an intraoperative assessment of the severity of peritonitis in children, taking into account the duration of the disease before surgery.
Materials and Methods: We analyzed the results of treatment of 186 children under age 16 who were operated on for appendicular peritonitis in the period between 2011 and 2018. The method of scoring for appendicular peritonitis index (API) consists in summing up the points reflecting the risk factors for the disease. API provides 2 criteria for the severity of peritonitis: the first degree - API<10 points, the second degree - API≥10 points. Ten or more points are an indication for laparotomy.
Results: With the definition of criteria for intraoperative assessment of the severity of peritonitis (API), the number of indications for laparotomy decreased. So, for the period from 2011 to 2014, the number of laparotomies performed with the subsequent programmed sanitation of the abdominal cavity was 17/14% cases; from 2015 to 2018, the inflammatory process in the abdominal cavity were assessed with the determination of the intraoperative index of peritonitis severity—the number of conversions was 15/11% cases.
- Yudin YAB, Prokopenko YD, Fedorov KK, Gabinsky TA. Acute appendicitis in children. M.: Meditsina;1998. [In Russian].
- Muehlstedt SG, Pham TQ, Schmeling DJ. The management of pediatric appendicitis: a survey of North American Pediatric Surgeons. J Pediatr Surg. 2004;39(6):875-9; discussion 875-9.
- Barskaja MA. Complex program of diagnosis and treatment of purulent surgical infection in children: Abstract of ScD Thesis. Ufa; 2000. [In Russian].
- Dronov AF, Kotlobovsky VI, Poddubny IV. Laparoscopic surgery for acute appendicitis in children: real ways to improve the results of treatment. In: Proceedings of the symposium "Endoscopic surgery in children". Ufa; 2002:41-45. [In Russian].
- Roshal' LM, Kapustin VA, Granikov OD, Karaseva OV. [Laparoscopic cleansing of the abdominal cavity in appendicular peritonitis in children]. Khirurgiia (Mosk). 1996;(4):35-7.[Article in Russian]
- Tursunov KT, Ormantaev AK, Ruziddinov DB, Rakhmanov MA, Sagymbaeva AA. [Acute appendicitis and appendicular peritonitis]. Russian Journal of Pediatric Surgery, Anesthesia and Intensive Care. 2014;4(2):37-40. [Article in Russian].
- Karaseva OV, Kapustin VA, Bryantsev AV. [Laparoscopic surgery for abscess forms of appendicular peritonitis in children]. Pediatric Surgery. 2005;3:25-29. [Article in Russian].
- Doletsky SYa, Shchitinin VE, Arapova AV. Complicated appendicitis in children. M.: Meditsina; 1982. [In Russian].
- Makokha NS. Treatment of severe forms of diffuse purulent peritonitis by the open method. In: Materials of the X Plenum Scientific Society of Surgeons of the Ukrainian SSR. Kiev; 1967:116-117. [In Russian].
- Linder MM, Wacha H, Feldmann U, Wesch G, Streifensand RA, Gundlach E. [The Mannheim peritonitis index. An instrument for the intraoperative prognosis of peritonitis]. Chirurg. 1987;58(2):84-92. [Article in German].
- Krylov NN, Babkin OV, Babkin DO. [Mannheim peritonitis index, criteria for the selection of surgical intervention for perforated duodenal ulcer]. Surgery. 2016;7:18-22. [Article in Russian].
- Sivaprahasam N, Vijayalakshmi S. Predictive value of mannheim peritonitis index (MPI) for mortality in perforated peptic ulcer. International Journal of Emerging Trends in Science and Technology. 2014;12:3:566-568.
- Tushar D, Ramachandra L, Nair R, Digvijoy Sh. Evaluation of prognosis in patients, with perforation peritonitis using Mannheim’s peritonitis index. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publication. 2015;5:2250-3153.
- Simonyan KS. Peritonitis. M.: Meditsina; 1971. [In Russian].
- Generalov AI, Kovalev VI, Baurova LV. [Abdominal cavity drainage in children with appendicular peritonitis (a review of the literature)]. Vopr Okhr Materin Det. 1977;22(12):16-22. [Article in Russian].
- Anisimov AIu, Podshivalov AG. [Method for creating approach by Volkovich-D'iakonov in technically complicated appendectomies]. Khirurgiia (Mosk). 1999;(12):19-20.[Article in Russian].
Received April 27, 2019.
Accepted June 10, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.