International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):155-158.
Originally published June 15, 2019
Background: The research objective was to study the effect of the tetrapeptide Leu-Ile-Lys-His on the course of experimental oxalate nephrolithiasis.
Methods and Results: Experiments were conducted on 30 male Wistar rats, which were divided equally into 3 groups: the control group (6 weeks of ON modeling), the test group (6 weeks of ON modeling+the tetrapeptide Leu-Ile-Lys-His introduction at a dose of 12 mg/kg), and the experimental group (determination of indicators of free radical oxidation process activity in intact rats). Every 7 days, indicators of the excretory renal function (the level of diuresis and creatinine excretion) and activity of marker enzymes of renal tissue damage (lactate dehydrogenase and γ-glutamyl transferase) were determined in the urine of rats. After six weeks, we determined parameters of activity of the free radical oxidation process in the kidneys of rats posthumously and conducted the morphological study for formation of calcium deposits.
Conclusion: Experiments showed that in the control group there were characteristic signs of nephrolithiasis development: increase of LDH activity by 5.4 times, increase of free radical oxidation process activity in the kidneys, and formation of large concrements in the kidneys, the mean size of which was 298.8±34.2 μm2. In the test group, there was weakening of LDH and GGT activity and weakening of free radical oxidation process activity. There were no morphological signs of nephrolithiasis development in the kidneys.
- Zharikov AYu, Yakushev NN, Zharikova GV. Pharmacological agent for treatment of kidney stone disease. RU Patent (RU #2679120; priority of 29.10.2018).
- Mittal A, Tandon S, Singla S.K, Tandon C. Mechanistic Insights into the Antilithiatic Proteins from Terminalia arjuna: Proteomic Approach in Urolithiasis. PLoS One. 2016;11(9):e0162600. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0162600.
- Cai X, Srivastava S, Surindran S, Li Z, Skolnik EY. Regulation of the epithelial Ca²⁺ channel TRPV5 by reversible histidine phosphorylation mediated by NDPK-B and PHPT1. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25(8):1244-50. doi: 10.1091/mbc.E13-04-0180.
- Zharikov AYu, Brukhanov VM, Zverev YaF, Lampatov VV. [Current methods of modeling of oxalate nephrolythiasis]. Nephrology (Saint-Petersburg). 2008; 12(4): 28-35.[Article in Russian].
- Kiliś-Pstrusińska K. [Carnosine, carnosinase and kidney diseases]. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online) 2012; 66:215-21. [Article in Polish].
- Peters V, Klessens CQ, Baelde HJ, Singler B, Veraar KA, Zutinic A, et al. Intrinsic carnosine metabolism in the human kidney. Amino Acids. 2015;47(12):2541-50. doi: 10.1007/s00726-015-2045-7.
- Zharikov AYu, Zverev YaF, Brukhanov VM, Lampatov VV. [The current conceptions about the modulators of the oxalate nephrolythiasis. I. stimulators of crystallization]. Nephrology (Saint-Petersburg). 2009;13(1):56-72. [Article in Russian].
- Zharikov AYu, Zverev YaF, Brukhanov VM, Lampatov V.V. [Mechanism of formation of crystals in oxalate nephrolithiasis]. Nephrology (Saint-Petersburg). 2009; 13(4): 37-50. [Article in Russian].
Received April 4, 2019.
Accepted June 7, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.