International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):159-162.
Originally published June 15, 2019
The aim of this study was to assess changes in the lipid peroxidation activity and immune response in modeling inflammatory and degenerative damage to the soft tissues of the periodontium of Wistar rats.
Materials and Methods: The experiments were carried out on male Wistar rats weighing 220-250g. Modeling the inflammatory and degenerative damage to the soft tissues of the periodontium in animals (n=10) of the test group (TG) was carried out using a single dose of a 2% formaldehyde aqueous solution injected into each side of the outer part of the gums (0.15 ml) at the level of the lower molars of anesthetized animals. The control group (CG) of animals (n=10) received an injection of physiological saline solution in the same volume. In 3 days after damage modeling, the animals were killed by decapitation and blood samples were drawn for testing. The intensity of LPO processes in the blood was estimated by content of conjugated dienes and TBA-reactive substances (TBARS). The status of the AOD system was determined by the SOD activity and GSH level. The immune status of the animals was assessed by several indicators as leukocyte migration inhibition test (LMIT), the phagocytic reaction of neutrophils, and oxygen-dependent and oxygen-independent microbicidal activity of neutrophils.
Results: The results obtained showed that the modeling of inflammatory and degenerative damage to the periodontium in rats was characterized by significant changes, affecting both the LPO system and the immune response. An LMIT conducted with various mitogens demonstrated the development of immunodeficiency in TG characterized by high activity of the inflammatory process. Immune disorders in animals of TG were also supported by changes in the phagocytosis system. Low levels on the integral NBT test indicate disorders in the state of oxygen-dependent microbicidal systems of phagocytes. The assessment of the activity of oxygen-independent microbicidal systems of phagocytes in LCT also found disorders in the immune status of animals of TG.
Conclusion: Inflammatory and degenerative damage of the soft tissues of the periodontium in rats is accompanied by pronounced disorders in both the LPO system and the immune response.
- Kassebaum NJ, Bernabé E, Dahiya M, Bhandari B, Murray CJ, Marcenes W. Global burden of severe periodontitis in 1990-2010: a systematic review and meta-regression.J Dent Res. 2014 Nov;93(11):1045-53. doi: 10.1177/0022034514552491.
- GBD 2015 Disease and Injury Incidence and Prevalence Collaborators. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 310 diseases and injuries, 1990-2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet. 2016 Oct 8;388(10053):1545-1602. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)31678-6.
- Tonetti MS1,2, Jepsen S3, Jin L2, Otomo-Corgel J4. Impact of the global burden of periodontal diseases on health, nutrition and wellbeing of mankind: A call for global action. J Clin Periodontol. 2017 May;44(5):456-462. doi: 10.1111/jcpe.12732. Epub 2017 May 8.
- Bykova NI, Odol'skii AV, Grigoryan VA. [Indicators of cellular and humoral immunity in experimental inflammation of periodontal tissues]. Kuban Scientific Medical Bulletin. 2016;6:20-26. [Article in Russian].
- Mokrenko YeV, Shabanov PD. [Modeling of inflammatory and degenerative damages of paradont tissue for assessment of drugs and food supplements effect]. Obzory po klinicheskoi farmakologii i lekarstvennoi terapii. 2013;11(2):57-59. [Article in Russian].
- Sycheva YuA, Gorbacheva IA, Orekhova LYu, Grigor'eva LG, Chudinova TN. [The role of regional micro-circulation and metabolic disorders in pathogenesis of hypertensive disease and inflammantary diseases of the periodontium]. Periodontology. 2014;2(71):32-35. [Article in Russian].
- Nath SG, Raveendran R. Microbial dysbiosis in periodontitis. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2013 Jul;17(4):543-5. doi: 10.4103/0972-124X.118334.
- Kolesnikova LI, Semyonova NV, Grebenkina LA, Darenskaya MA, Suturina LV, Gnusina SV. Integral indicator of oxidative stress in human blood. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2014;157(6):715-7. doi: 10.1007/s10517-014-2649-z.
- Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Sholokhov LF, Rashidova MA, Semenova NV, Kolesnikov SI, Kolesnikova LI. Lipid peroxidation activity in women with chronic viral hepatitis. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2016;100(S1):192.
- Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Kolesnikov SI, Gavrilova OA, Kravtsova OV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikova LI. Oxidative stress parameters in adolescent boys with exogenous-constitutional obesity. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2017;112:129-130.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Nikitina OA, Lazareva LM, et al. Activity of LPO processes in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome and infertility. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;162(3):320-322. doi: 10.1007/s10517-017-3605-5.
- Ershova OA, Bairova TA, Kolesnikov SI, Kalyuzhnaya OV, Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikova LI. Oxidative stress and catalase gene. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2016;161(3):400-3. doi: 10.1007/s10517-016-3424-0.
- Bairova TA, Kolesnikov SI, Kolesnikova LI, Pervushina OA, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA. Lipid peroxidation and mitochondrial superoxide dismutase-2 gene in adolescents with essential hypertension. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2015;158(2):181-4. doi: 10.1007/s10517-014-2717-4.
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Semenova NV, Grebenkina LA, Suturina LV, Dolgikh MI et al. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant protection in girls with type 1 diabetes mellitus during reproductive system development. Medicina (Lithuania). 2015;51(2):107-111.
- Darenskaya MA, Gavrilova OA, Rychkova LV, Kravtsova OV, Grebenkina LA, Osipova EV, et al. The assessment of oxidative stress intensity in adolescents with obesity by the integral index. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(1):37-41.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Korytov LI, Suslikova MI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina L.A, Kolesnikova L.R. Oxidative stress as a mechanism of reduced glucose absorption under conditions of immobilization stress. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;164(2):132-135. doi: 10.1007/s10517-017-3941-5.
- Omarov IA, Bolevich SB, Savateeva-Lyubimova TN, Silina EV, Sivak KV. [Oxidative stress and comprehensive antioxidative energy correction in treatment of periodontitis]. Stomatology. 2011;1:10-17. [Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Romanova ED, Chkhenkeli VA, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, et al. Effect of Preparation Based on Trametes Pubescens Xylotroph Fungi on Lipid Peroxidation in the Blood of Experimental Animals under Conditions of Dark Stress. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;162(6):762-764. doi: 10.1007/s10517-017-3707-0.
- Mokrenko EV, Shabanov PD. Therapy of inflammatory and degenerative damage of the smooth parodont tissue with tooth pastes in rats. Pediatr. 2015;6(2):81–86. [Article in Russian].
- Kamyshnikov VS. Handbook on clinical and biochemical studies and laboratory diagnostics. Moscow; 2009. [in Russian].
- Potemkina EE, Pozdnyakova RZ, Manukyan LМ. [Training Manuals for Laboratoty Clinical Immunology]. Мoscow; 2003. [in Russian].
- Nazarenko GI, Kishkun AA. Clinical assessment of laboratory results. Moscow; 2007. [Article in Russian].
- Negative nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/medgen/336678
- Khabriev RU. Guidance on experimental (non-clinical) testing of new pharmaceutical substances. Мoscow; 2005. [Article in Russian].
- Gumus P, Huseyinalemdaroglu B, Buduneli N. The role of oxidative stress in the interaction of periodontal disease with systemic diseases or conditions. Oxid Antioxid Med Sci. 2016;5(2):33-3817:18.
Received March 10, 2019.
Accepted April 6, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.