International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):168-171.
Originally published June 15, 2019
Background: Currently, infertile couples represent a very complex and serious medical and social problem. In 40%-60% of cases, the reason for the absence of children in the family is the male factor. Oxidative stress (OS) has been identified as one of the many mediators of male infertility by causing sperm dysfunction. The purpose of this study was to identify the characteristics of the intensity indices of lipid peroxidation (LPO) and antioxidant system (AOS) in the ejaculate of men with different spermogram variants.
Materials and Methods: We performed a retrospective analysis of the results of examinations of 69 men of infertile couples with various disorders of the ejaculate and 155 healthy men with proven fertility. In the semen of the examined men, the level of CD (conjugated dienes), TBARS (thiobarbituric acid reactive substances), α-tocopherol, retinol and total antioxidant activity (AOA) was evaluated by spectrophotometric method.
Results: We found that the antioxidant protection system in patients with asthenozoospermia was characterized by a decrease in the level of total AOA in the semen by 50% and the α–tocopherol concentration by 52%, compared to healthy men in the control group. In patients with oligozoospermia, an increase in the CD concentration by 39% and a decrease in the TBARS concentration by 26% was found; the level of total AOA decreased by 37% and the concentration of α–tocopherol by 41%, compared to healthy men.
Conclusion: In general, the analysis of the obtained data of the survey of men with different variants of spermograms indicates a change in the parameters of the LPO–AOS and confirms the OS development. Thus, it can be noted that depending on the pathological state of the ejaculate in men of reproductive age, LPO processes have their own characteristics, and in men with oligozoospermia, LPO processes occur more intensively. Activation of LPO-AOS processes can be both a consequence and a cause of various metabolic changes in the human body.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kurashova NA, Bairova TA, Dolgikh MI, Ershova OA, Dashiev BG, et al.. Role of Glutathione-S-Transferase Family Genes in Male Infertility. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;163(5):643-645. doi: 10.1007/s10517-017-3869-9.
- Nikolaev AA, Loginov PV, Vetoshkin RV. [Participation of free radicals in the function of spermatozoa]. Astrakhan Medical Journal. 2014;(1):23-29 [Article in Russian].
- Galimov SN, Akhmetov RM, Galimova EF, Bairamgulov FM, Bikkulova LR. [Molecular aspects of the impact of the Speroton complex on the male fertility in idiopathic infertility]. Urologiia. 2017;(2):88-92.[Article in Russian].
- Shantanova LN, Osadchuk LV, Dashiev BG, Kleschev MA, Gutorova NV, Osadchuk AV, Bashelkhanov IS. [Assessment of reproductive health in young men of the Republic of Buryatia]. Bulletin of the East Siberian Scientific Center SB RAMS. 2012;88:44-46. [Article in Russian].
- Artifeksova MS, Borodacheva IV, Sergeev MYu, Artiefeksov SB, Zhabin SG. [Indicators of life quality of the men from infertile couple]. Russian Journal of Human Reproduction. 2015;21(5): 84-88 [Article in Russian].
- Moretti E, Collodel G, Fiaschi AI, Micheli L, Iacoponi F, Cerretani D. Nitric oxide, malondialdheyde and non-enzymatic antioxidants assessed in viable spermatozoa from selected infertile men. Reprod Biol. 2017;17(4):370-375. doi: 10.1016/j.repbio.2017.10.003.
- Dorostghoal M, Kazeminejad SR, Shahbazian N, Pourmehdi M, Jabbari A. Oxidative stress status and sperm DNA fragmentation in fertile and infertile men. Andrologia. 2017;49(10). doi: 10.1111/and.12762. Epub 2017 Jan 26.
- Khodos MYa, Kazakov YaE, Vidrevich MB, Brainina HZ. [Oxidative stress and its role in pathogenesis]. Journal of Ural Medical Academic Science. 2017;4(4):381-398. [Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI. [Free radical oxidation: a pathophysiologist’s view]. Bulletin of Siberian Medicine. 2017;16(4):16-29. [Article in Russian]. doi: 10.20538/1682-0363-2017-4-16-29
- Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI, Rychkova LV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikova LI. Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense parameters in different diseases: ethnic aspects. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2018;120(S1):S60. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.04.199.
- Trussell JC. Optimal diagnosis and medical treatment of male infertility. Semin Reprod Med. 2013;31(4):235-6. doi: 10.1055/s-0033-1345269.
- Henkel RR. Leukocytes and oxidative stress: dilemma for sperm function and male fertility. Asian J Androl. 2011;13(1):43-52. doi: 10.1038/aja.2010.76.
- Lomteva SV, Savikina KG, Shestel AN, Sagamonova KYu, Shkurat ТP. Oxidative stress and male reproductive system. Valeology. 2015;(1):59-67. [Article in Russian].
- Ploskonos MV. [Biochemical changes in the membrane of spermatozoa of fertile men under the influence of an inducer of oxidative stress and correction of these changes]. Russian Journal of Human Reproduction. 2015;(5):102-108 [Article in Russian].
- Rudneva SA, Bragina EE, Arifulin EA, Sorokina TM, Shileiko LV, Ermolaeva SA, et al. [DNA fragmentation in spermatozoa and its relationship with impaired spermatogenesis]. Andrology and Genital Surgery. 2014;15(4):26-33 [Article in Russian].
- Kurashova NA, Dolgikh MI, Ershova OA, Gavrilova OA, Osipova EV, Dashiev BG, et al. Associations of Polymorphic Variants of the Biotransformation Genes with the Components of the Glutathione System in Men with Infertility. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2017;7(3):226-230. doi: 10.21103/Article7(3)_OA13
- WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen - 5th ed. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/44261/9789241547789_eng.pdf;jsessionid=46F8915182775DD661AE4D5247CDA162?sequence=1
- Gavrilov VB, Mishkorudnaya MI. [Spectrophotometric determination of the content of lipid hydroperoxes in the blood plasma]. Lab Delo. 1983;(3)33-36. [Article in Russian].
- Gavrilov VB, Gavrilova AR, Mazhul' LM. [Methods of determining lipid peroxidation products in the serum using a thiobarbituric acid test]. Vopr Med Khim. 1987;33(1):118-22. [Article in Russian].
- Cherniauskene RCh, Varshkiavichene ZZ, Gribauskas PS. [Simultaneous fluorometric determination of the concentrations of vitamins E and A in blood serum]. Lab Delo. 1984;(6):362-5.[Article in Russian].
- Klebanov GI, Babenkova IV, Teselkin IuO, Komarov OS, Vladimirov IuA. [Evaluation of the antioxidative activity of blood plasma using yolk lipoproteins]. Lab Delo. 1988;(5):59-62. [Article in Russian]
- Kolesnikova LI., Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Grebenkina LA, Dolgikh MI, Gavrilova OA. Ethnic Peculiarities of the Lipid Profile in Adolescent Representatives of Some Indigenous Ethnic Groups of Siberia. J Evol Biochem Phys. 2018; 54(5):356-362. doi: 10.1134/S0022093018050034.
- Kul'chenko NG. [Principal antioxidant therapy patospermia]. "REAVIZ” Bulletin: Rehabilitation, Doctor and Health. 2018;31(1):41-48. [Article in Russian].
- Ahmadi S, Bashiri R, Ghadiri-Anari A, Nadjarzadeh A. Antioxidant supplements and semen parameters: An evidence based review. Int J Reprod Biomed. 2016;14(12):729-736.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kurashova NA, Bairova TA, Osipova EV. Activity of components of lipid peroxidation system and antioxidant protection in men with infertility, carriers of non-functional genotypes GSTT1 and GSTM1. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2018;120(1):72-73. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.04.240
- Kao SH, Chao HT, Chen HW, Huang Y-S, Liao TL, Wei YH. Increase of oxidative stress in human sperm with lower motility. Fertil Steril. 2008;89(5),1183-90.
- Madaeva IМ, Berdina ON, Semenova NV, Madaev VV, Kolesnikova LI. Erectile dysfunction and sleep apnea syndrome are risk factors of cardiovascular diseases. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology. 2017; 24(S1): S288.
- Walczak-Jedrzejowska R, Wolski JK, Slowikowska-Hilczer J. The role of oxidative stress and antioxidants in male fertility. Cent European J Urol. 2013;66(1):60-67. doi: 10.5173/ceju.2013.01.art19
- Belenkaia LV, Sholokhov LF, Kolesnikova LI. Levels of essential elements in pubic hair of men with type 1 diabetes. Endocrine Rev. 2017;38(S3):169-170.
- Ammar O, Haouas Z, Hamouda B, Hamdi H, Hellara I, Jlali A, et al. Relationship between sperm DNA damage with sperm parameters, oxidative markers in teratozoospermic men. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2019;233:70-75. doi: 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2018.12.003.
- Intasqui P, Antoniassi MP, Camargo M, Nichi M, Carvalho VM, Cardozo KH, et al. Differences in the seminal plasma proteome are associated with oxidative stress levels in men with normal semen parameters. Fertil Steril. 2015;104(2):292-301. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2015.04.037.
- Zagarskikh EIu, Labygina AV, Kurashova NA [Experience in the treatment of normogonadotropic infertility in men]. Urologiia. 2014;(5):87-9. [Article in Russian].
Received April 10, 2019.
Accepted May 23, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.