International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):172-175.
Originally published June 15, 2019
The purpose of our research was to assess the level of tumor markers in the blood serum of elderly residents of Yakutia.
Material and Methods: We examined 204 elderly residents of Yakutia (52 men aged from 60 to 74 years and 152 women aged from 55 to 74 years). The study did not include the people who have oncological or preoncological diseases, or those with exacerbation of chronic diseases. Regarding ethnic origin, all examined people were Yakuts (indigenous people of Yakutia). The levels of tumor markers (AFP, CA 125, and PSA) in the blood serum were determined by ELISA
Results: Among elderly people, the serum level of AFP was at higher levels within within the reference range in single working people and people having a low level of education and/or obesity. The serum level of CA125 in women increased depending on ML, discomfort of housing, and low level of material well-being. The serum level of PSA was at higher levels within the reference range in male smokers.
- Liu F, Du F, Chen X. Multiple tumor marker protein chip detection system in diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. World J Surg Oncol. 2014;;12:333. doi: 10.1186/1477-7819-12-333.
- Gion M, Cardinali G, Trevisiol C, Zappa M, Rainato G, Fabricio ASC. Indicators of inappropriate tumour marker use through the mining of electronic health records. J Eval Clin Pract. 2017;23(4):895-902. doi: 10.1111/jep.12754.
- Kouris NT, Zacharos ID, Kontogianni DD, Goranitou GS, Sifaki MD, Grassos HE, et al. The significance of CA 125 levels in patients with chronic congestive heart failure. Correlation with clinical and echocardiographic parameters. Eur J Heart Fail 2005;7(2):199–203.
- Varol E, Ozaydin M, Dogan A, Kosar F. Tumour marker levels in patients with chronic heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2005;7(5):840–3.
- Zhong YC, Zhou XF, Hou CM, Li WP. Effect of danefukang on symptoms and biomarkers in women with endometriosis. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Mar;58(2):218-222. doi: 10.1016/j.tjog.2019.01.009.
- Kim JH, Park BR, Yang WJ. Dilution effect of serum CA125 and CA19-9 over a cutoff value, according to obesity. Int J Biol Markers. 2015;30(1):e122-6. doi: 10.5301/jbm.5000110
- Karakoyun I, Duman C, Demet Arslan F, Baysoy A, Isbilen Basok B. Vitamin B12 and folic acid associated megaloblastic anemia: Could it mislead the diagnosis of breast cancer? Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2019;11:1-6. doi: 10.1024/0300-9831/a000555.
- Harada T, Shigeta K, Noda K, Fukumoto Y, Nishimura H, Mizuta M, Takemoto T. Clinical implications of alpha-fetoprotein in liver cirrhosis: five-year follow-up study. Hepatogastroenterology. 1980;27(3):169-75.
- Chen Y, Zhao Y, Feng L, Zhang J, Zhang J, Feng G. Association between alpha-fetoprotein and metabolic syndrome in a Chinese asymptomatic population: a cross-sectional study. Lipids Health Dis. 2016;15:85. doi:10.1186/s12944-016-0256-x.
- Nagpal M, Singh S, Singh P, Chauhan P, Zaidi MA. Tumor markers: A diagnostic tool. Natl J Maxillofac Surg. 2016;7(1):17–20. doi:10.4103/0975-5950.196135.
- Yang N, Li Z, Yan M, Xiao W, Zhang W, Long Y, Cheng Y, Ming K, Xu B. Evaluation of Serum Alpha-Fetoprotein Level in Chronic Hepatitis C Patients. Clin Lab. 2019 Jan 1;65(1). doi: 10.7754/Clin.Lab.2018.180607.
- He Y, Lu H, Zhang L Serum AFP levels in patients suffering from 47 different types of cancers and noncancer diseases. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2019;162:199-212. doi: 10.1016/bs.pmbts.2019.01.001.
- Lopez LA, Villar VD, Ulla M, Fernandez F, Fernandez LA, Santos I, Rababdan L, Gutierrez M. Prevalence of abnormal levels of serum tumour markers in elderly people. Age Ageing. 1996;25(1):45-50.
- Efremova SD, Golderova AS, Krivoshapkina ZN, Okhlopkova ED, Nikolaev VM, Tsypandina EV, et al. The water hardness and its relationships with the level of tumor markers among the inhabitants of Yakutia. Yakut Medical Journal. 2018;3(63):37-39.
- Park SY, Haiman CA, Cheng I, Park SL, Wilkens LR, Kolonel LN, et al. Racial/ethnic differences in lifestyle-related factors and prostate cancer risk: the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Cancer Causes Control. 2015; 26(10):1507–15. doi:10.1007/s10552-015-0644-y
- Diamandis EP, Yu H. New biological functions of prostate-specific antigen? J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1995;80(5):1515-7.
- Yumuk V, Tsigos C, Fried M, Schindler K, Busetto L, Micic D, Toplak H; Obesity Management Task Force of the European Association for the Study of Obesity. European Guidelines for Obesity Management in Adults. Obes Facts. 2015;8(6):402-24. doi: 10.1159/000442721.
- Adamowicz K, Zalewska M, Majkowicz M, Zaucha JM. Evaluation of the Impact of Different Types of Health Education on the Adoption and Preservation of Prohealth Attitudes in Preventing Cancer in Juveniles Younger than 18 Years. J Cancer Educ. 2014;30(3):432–8. doi:10.1007/s13187-014-0730-y.
- Li J, Thompson T, Joseph DA, Master VA. Association between smoking status, and free, total and percent free prostate specific antigen. J Urol. 2012;187(4):1228–33. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2011.11.086.
- Koc G, Akgul K, Yilmaz Y, Dirik A, Un S. The effects of cigarette smoking on prostate-specific antigen in two different age groups. Can Urol Assoc J. 2013;7(11-12):E704–E707. doi:10.5489/cuaj.358
- Zhang J, Ma M, Nan X, Sheng B. Obesity inversely correlates with prostate-specific antigen levels in a population with normal screening results of prostate cancer in northwestern China. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2016;49(8). pii: S0100-879X2016000800704. doi: 10.1590/1414-431X20165272.
Received May 13, 2019.
Accepted June 10, 2019.