International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):125-127.
Originally published June 15, 2019
The purpose of this study was to analyze the association between the CYP17A1 rs743572 SNP and the development and clinical course of Acne vulgaris (AV) in the Uzbek population. The study included 165 AV patients aged from 18 to 30 years (Group AV). All patients were divided into 3 subgroups in accordance with the severity of the disease. SAV1 included 59(35.8%) patients with a mild degree of AV, SAV2 included 64(38.8%) patients with a moderate degree of AV, and SAV3 included 42(25.4%) patients with a severe degree of AV. The control group (CG) consisted of 97 healthy volunteers without a burdened dermatological history.
Our study revealed a significant association of the CYP17A1 rs743572 SNP with the risk of AV development in the Uzbek population. Our results showed that the presence of the A2 allele and A2/A2 genotype of the CYP17A1 rs743572 SNP might be a risk factor for AV in Uzbek ethnicity. It is obvious that the A1/A1 genotype of the CYP17A1 rs743572 SNP can have a protective effect not only in the formation of AV, but also in the severity of the disease. The functionally unfavorable A1/A2 genotype of the CYP17A1 rs743572 SNP is more characteristic of patients with a moderate degree of AV, and the homozygote minor allele genotype A2/A2 is more characteristic of patients with a severe degree of AV.
- Goldberg DJ, Berlin AL. Acne and Rosacea: Epidemiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Manson Publishing LTD; 2012.
- Spencer EH, Ferdowsian HR, Barnard ND. Diet and acne: a review of the evidence. Int J Dermatol. 2009;48(4):339-47. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-4632.2009.04002.x.
- James WD. Clinical practice. Acne. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(14):1463-72.
- Miller WL. Early steps in androgen biosynthesis: from cholesterol to DHEA. Baillieres Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;12(1):67-81.
- Auchus RJ, Miller WL. Molecular modeling of human P450c17 (17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase): insights into reaction mechanisms and effects of mutations. Mol Endocrinol. 1999;13(7):1169-82.
- Missaghian E, Kempná P, Dick B, Hirsch A, Alikhani-Koupaei R, Jégou B, Mullis PE, Frey BM, Flück CE. Role of DNA methylation in the tissue-specific expression of the CYP17A1 gene for steroidogenesis in rodents. J Endocrinol. 2009;202(1):99-109. doi: 10.1677/JOE-08-0353.
- Fan YS, Sasi R, Lee C, Winter JS, Waterman MR, Lin CC. Localization of the human CYP17 gene (cytochrome P450(17 alpha)) to 10q24.3 by fluorescence in situ hybridization and simultaneous chromosome banding. Genomics. 1992;14(4):1110-1
- Nguyen PT, Conley AJ, Sneyd J, Lee RS, Soboleva TK, Shorten PR.The role of enzyme compartmentalization on the regulation of steroid synthesis.J Theor Biol. 2013;332:52-64. doi: 10.1016/j.jtbi.2013.04.021.
- Carey AH, Waterworth D, Patel K, White D, Little J, Novelli P, Franks S, Williamson R. Polycystic ovaries and premature male pattern baldness are associated with one allele of the steroid metabolism gene CYP17. Hum Mol Genet. 1994;3(10):1873-6.
- Feigelson HS, Shames LS, Pike MC, Coetzee GA, Stanczyk FZ, Henderson BE. Cytochrome P450c17alpha gene (CYP17) polymorphism is associated with serum estrogen and progesterone concentrations. Cancer Res. 1998;58(4):585-7.
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor NY; Cold Spring Harbor Lab Press; 1987.
- He L, Yang Z, Yu H, Cheng B, Tang W, Dong Y, Xiao C. The relationship between CYP17 -34T/C polymorphism and acne in Chinese subjects revealed by sequencing. Dermatology. 2006;212(4):338-42.
- Chamaie-Nejad F, Saeidi S, Najafi F, Ebrahimi A, Rahimi Z, Shakiba E, Rahimi Z. Association of the CYP17 MSP AI (T-34C) and CYP19 codon 39 (Trp/Arg) polymorphisms with susceptibility to acne vulgaris. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2018;43(2):183-186. doi: 10.1111/ced.13321.
- Sobjanek M, Zabłotna M, Dobosz-Kawałko M, Michajłowski I, Mędrzycka-Dąbrowska W, Nowicki R, Sokołowska-Wojdyło M. Polymorphisms in the cytochrome P-450 (CYP) 1A1 and 17 genes are not associated with acne vulgaris in the Polish population. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2015;32(5):323-6. doi: 10.5114/pdia.2014.44004.
- Anwar AI, Agusni I, Massi MN, Yusuf I. The Immunogenetic Analysis of Acne Vulgaris. Science Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2013;2(2):58-63.
Received May 4, 2019.
Accepted June 13, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.