International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(3):233-236.
Originally published September 15, 2019
This article presents the results of a study on psychoemotional stress observed in a northern environment, an important factor contributing to the development of abnormalities during pregnancy and leading to a risk of miscarriage in first-trimester (MT1) pregnant women.
Materials and Methods: A total of 147 MT1 pregnant women were included in the study, who were divided into 3 groups based on their health status: Group 1 (Control group) included basically healthy women (n=24); Group 2 (Risk group) included women defined as vulnerable to risk factors (n=32); Group 3 (Threatened group) included women hospitalized for threatened miscarriage (n=35). In Groups 2 and 3, patients were divided into 3 age groups: 18-24 years, 25-34 years, and ≥35 years. Patients in the Control group were divided into 2 age groups, 18-24 years and 25-34 years, since women aged ≥35 years were referred to Group 2. The psychoemotional status of the women was assessed using the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) in Yu.L.Khanin’s adaptation, and the Eysenck Personality Questionnaire (EPQ).
Results: The results of our study showed the presence of age-specific features in the psychophysiological state of pregnant women living in the North, specifically, high anxiety levels. In all patient groups, psychoemotional stress tended to increase with age. The highest stress levels were observed among pregnant women from the Threatened miscarriage group, especially in 2 age subgroups (18-24 years and ≥35 years).
- Agarkova LA, Buharina IY, Ulianich AL, Vershkova EM, Tolmachev IV. Features of quality of life interrelated with indicators of psychoemotional state of women in the period of every trimestre of pregnancy. Bulletin of Kemerovo State University. 2016;(4):108-119. doi: 10.21603/2078- 8975-2016-4-108-119. [Article in Russian].
- Gatsaeva LT, Torchinov AM, Filippova GG, Tsakhilova SG. Course of pregnancy, labor, and postpartum period in women in presence of mixed anxiety and depression disorders under conditions of socio-economic instability. Reproduktivnoe Zdorove Detei I Podrostkov. 2011;(3):66-73 [Article in Russian].
- Khlomov KD, Enikolopov SN. Study of psychoemotional and individual character features of pregnant women with threatened miscarriage. Perinatalnaya Psikhologiya i Psikhologiya Roditelstva. 2007;(3):38-49. [Article in Russian].
- Thorsness KR, Watson C, LaRusso EM. Perinatal anxiety: approach to diagnosis and management in the obstetric setting. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018;219(4):326-345. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2018.05.017
- Kim DR., Connolly KR., Cristancho P, Zappone M, Weinrieb RM. Psychiatric consultation of patients with hyperemesis gravidarum. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2009;12(2):61-67. doi: 10.1007/s00737-009-0064-7.
- Strizhova NV, Sabakh Abu El. Kheidzha. Predictive significance of yolk sac sonography in pregnancy miscarriage. Vestnik Rossiiskoi Assotsiatsii akusher-ginekologov. 1995;2:56-58. [Article in Russian].
- Kolosova ON, Yakovleva AP, Shits IV. Characteristics of health status in women of reproductive age in Yakutia. Byulleten’ Natsionalnogo Nauchno-Issledovatelskogo Instituta Obshchestvennogo Zdorovya im. N.A. Semashko.2012;(4):69-70. [Article in Russian].
- Nikolaeva EN. Psychophysiological patterns in adaptation of college students to northern environment. Abstract of PhD Thesis. Yakutsk; 2006. [In Russian].
- Khanin YL. A brief guide to the use of a scale of reactive and personal anxiety by Ch.D. Spielberger. Leningrad.: LNII FC; 1976. [In Russian].
- Eysenck HJ & Eysenck SBG. The Eysenck Personality Questionnaire.London: Hodder & Stoughton. 1975.
- Belyaeva OA. Features of the emotional sphere of pregnant women. Collection of scientific works «Estestvoznanie i gumanizm».2002;2(5):43-51. [Article in Russian].
- Andrienko OA. Study of anxiety in pregnant women of different age groups. International scientific journal «Symbol of Science».2016;(5):224-225. [Article in Russian].
- Gopurova GF. [Psychoemotional changes in women during pregnancy period]. Proceedings of the 2nd International scientific conference. Ufa;2014:21-25. [In Russian].
- Abdullaeva VK. Features of psycho-emotional changes in women during pregnancy. ISJ Theoretical & Applied Science. 2017;02(46):122-124. doi:10.15863/TAS.2017.02.46.22.
Received August 13, 2019.
Accepted September 9, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.