International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):361-365.
Originally published December 15, 2019
The aim of this study was to assess the changes in the levels of the blood serum pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in rats with experimental bronchopneumonia and after administration of immunomodulators.
Materials and Methods: Research was carried out on mature male Wistar rats (n=111), weighing 220-250g. The bronchopulmonary inflammation in the rats was modeled by administration of 0.1 ml of gum turpentine in the rats’ trachea under etherization. All rats were divided into four groups: Group 1 included intact animals (n=18); Group 2 included animals having bronchopneumonia (n=19); Group 3 included animals having bronchopneumonia treated with Krezacin (n=15); Group 4 included animals having bronchopneumonia treated with Metaprot (n=16). Right after the operation and for the next 5 days, a solution of one of the test immunomodulators was injected (once a day) abdominally in the experimental animals: 25mg/kg of Krezacin or 25mg/kg of Metaprot. On Day 5 of the experiment, the animals were decapitated under anesthesia and blood samples were collected. The concentration of cytokines in the blood was determined by the flow immunofluorometry method with the device Bio-RadLaboratories (USA).
Results: The administration of Krezacin in animals with bronchopneumonia, in comparison with untreated animals, was accompanied by a statistically significant increase in the levels of IL-1β (by 3.43 times), IL-2 (by 1.95 times), INF-γ (by 3.29 times), and MCP-1 (by 2.07 times) and a decrease in the levels of TNFα (by 1.85 times) and IL-6 (by 2.20 times). Administration of Krezacin increased anti-inflammatory cytokines considerably: IL-4 by 5.22 times and IL-10 by 2.41 times. Analysis of results after administration of Metaprot demonstrates an increase in the levels of IL-1β (by 2.57 times), IL-2 (by 2 times), INF-γ (by 3.21 times), and MCP-1 (by 1.98 times) and a decrease in the levels of TNFα (by 2.17 times) and IL-6 (by 2.5 times), compared to data on untreated animals. Anti-inflammatory cytokines also increased greatly: IL-4 by 5.3 times and IL-10 by 3.71 times.
Conclusion: The results obtained show that investigated preparations reduce the severity and intensity of bronchopneumonia in rats. Krezacin and Metaprot demonstrate the properties of true immunomodulators, increasing protective properties of cytokines and providing the adaptive response of the body in severe bronchopulmonary pathology.
- Rendon A, Rendon-Ramirez EJ, Rosas-Taraco AG. Relevant Cytokines in the Management of Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2016;18(3):10. doi: 10.1007/s11908-016-0516-y.
- Wiemken TL, Kelley RR, Fernandez-Botran R, Mattingly WA, Arnold FW, Furmanek SP, et al. Using cluster analysis of cytokines to identify patterns of inflammation in hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia: a pilot study. Univ Louisville J Respir Infect. 2017;1(1):3-11. doi: 10.18297/jri/vol1/iss1/1/.
- Wu WF, Fang Q, He GJ. Efficacy of corticosteroid treatment for severe community-acquired pneumonia: A meta-analysis. Am J Emerg Med. 2018;36(2):179-184. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2017.07.050.
- Stulik L, Hudcova J, Craven DE, Nagy G, Nagy E. Low Efficacy of Antibiotics Against Staphylococcus aureus Airway Colonization in Ventilated Patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64(8):1081-1088. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix055.
- Cillóniz C, Cardozo C, García-Vidal C. Epidemiology, pathophysiology, and microbiology of communityacquired pneumonia. Ann Res Hosp. 2018;2(1).
- Kolesnikova LI, Semyonova NV, Grebenkina LA, Darenskaya MA, Suturina LV, Gnusina SV. Integral indicator of oxidative stress in human blood. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2014;157(6):715-7. doi: 10.1007/s10517-014-2649-z
- Serebrovska Z, Swanson RJ, Portnichenko V, Shysh A, Pavlovich S, Tumanovska L, et al. Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect of cerium dioxide nanoparticles immobilized on the surface of silica nanoparticles in rat experimental pneumonia. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017;92:69-77. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2017.05.064.
- Han J, Ma D, Zhang M, Yang X, Tan D. Natural antioxidant betanin protects rats from paraquat-induced acute lung injury interstitial pneumonia. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:608174. doi: 10.1155/2015/608174.
- Zarubina IV, Mokrenko EV, Bolehan AV, Shabanov PD. [Comparative anti-inflammatory and ergotropny activity metapro- that, a trekrezana and a polioksidoniya and their combinations at experimental bronchopulmonary inflammation at rats]. Medical Academic Journal. 2016;16(3):48-50.[Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI1, Semyonova NV, Grebenkina LA, Darenskaya MA, Suturina LV, Gnusina SV. Integral indicator of oxidative stress in human blood. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2014;157(6):715-7. doi: 10.1007/s10517-014-2649-z.
- Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Sholokhov LF, Rashidova MA, Semenova NV, Kolesnikov SI, Kolesnikova LI. Lipid peroxidation activity in women with chronic viral hepatitis. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2016;100(S1):192.
- Shabanov PD, Zarubina IV, Mokrenko EV. [Pharmacology of trekrezan, a new immune modulator and adaptogen]. Reviews on Clinical Pharmacology and Drug Therapy. 2014;12(2):12-27. [Article in Russian].
- Zarubina IV, Shabanov PD. Antioxidant Effect of Polyoxidonium and Metaprot during Bronchopulmonary Inflammation in Rats. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2015;160(2):234-7. doi: 10.1007/s10517-015-3137-9.
- Shabanov PD, Mokrenko EV. [Anti-inflammatory and immune stimulating effects of trekrezan in treatment of inflammatory and degenerative damages of the smooth parodont tissue]. Reviews on Clinical Pharmacology and Drug Therapy. 2015;13(2):34-42. [Article in Russian].
- Mokrenko EV, Shabanov PD. [Treatment of inflammatory and degenerative damages of the smooth parodont tissue with tooth pastes in rats]. Pediatr. 2015;6(2):66-70. [Article in Russian].
- Shabanov PD, Mokrenko EV. [The new immunomodulator and adaptogen trekrezan as a means of prevention and treatment of colds inflammatory diseases]. Vestnik Smolenskoj gosudarstvennoj medicinskoj akademii. 2014;13(2):61-65. [Article in Russian].
- Yan T. Role of anti-inflammatory cytokines in pathogenesis of pediatric mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2016;30(2):541-5.
- Berezhnaya NM. [Cytokine network regulation in pathology: rapid progress in knowledge and inevitable questions]. Cytokines and Inflammation. 2007;2(6):26-34. [Article in Russian].
- Vasconcellos ÂG, Clarêncio J, Andrade D, Cardoso MA, Barral A, Nascimento-Carvalho CM. Systemic cytokines and chemokines on admission of children hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. Cytokine. 2018;107:1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2017.11.005.
- Shabanov PD, Mokrenko EV. [Condition of the oxidative status of blood and tissues in inflammatory degenerative damage of soft territorial tissues in rats after application of toothpases and their separate components]. Medical Academic Journal. 2015;15(2):55-61. [Article in Russian].
- Volozhin AI, Mokrenko EV. [The relationship of the mechanical properties of the dentoalveolar complex to the status of the bone tissue in traumatic occlusion]. Stomatologiia (Mosk). 1991;(5):14-7. [Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Semenova NV, Grebenkina LA, Suturina LV, Dolgikh MI, Gnusina SV. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant protection in girls with type 1 diabetes mellitus during reproductive system development. Medicina (Kaunas). 2015;51(2):107-11. doi: 10.1016/j.medici.2015.01.009.
- Guo W, Zhang TQ, XU YS, & Liu FJ. The study on cytokines of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in children with mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia. Tianjin Medical Journal. 2018;46(6):648-651.
- Ostanin AA, Leplina OYu, Shevela EYa, Chernykh ER, Konenkov VI. [The assessment of cytokine pattern in patients with severe sepsis using the bio-plex-protein assay system]. Cytokines and Inflammation. 2004;1(3):20-27. [Article in Russian].
- Varfolomeev E, Vucic D. Intracellular regulation of TNF activity in health and disease. Cytokine. 2018;101:26-32. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2016.08.035.
- Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Kolesnikov SI, Gavrilova OA, Kravtsova OV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikova LI. Oxidative stress parameters in adolescent boys with exogenous-constitutional obesity. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2017;112:129-130.
- Mehta AK, Gracias DT, Croft M. TNF activity and T cells. Cytokine. 2018;101:14-18. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2016.08.003.
- Taher MY, Davies DM, Maher J. The role of the interleukin (IL)-6/IL-6 receptor axis in cancer. Biochem Soc Trans. 2018;46(6):1449-1462. doi: 10.1042/BST20180136.
- Bielen K, 's Jongers B, Malhotra-Kumar S, Jorens PG, Goossens H, Kumar-Singh S. Animal models of hospital-acquired pneumonia: current practices and future perspectives. Ann Transl Med. 2017;5(6):132. doi: 10.21037/atm.2017.03.72.
- Ershova OA, Bairova TA, Kolesnikov SI, Kalyuzhnaya OV, Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikova LI. Oxidative Stress and Catalase Gene. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2016;161(3):400-3. doi: 10.1007/s10517-016-3424-0.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Korytov LI, Suslikova MI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikova LR. Oxidative Stress as a Mechanisms of Reduced Glucose Absorption under Conditions of Immobilization Stress. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;164(2):132-135. doi: 10.1007/s10517-017-3941-5.
Received November 8, 2019.
Accepted November 23, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.