International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):287-291.
Originally published December 15, 2019.
The research objective was to study the association of the AGT rs699 missense SNP with arterial hypertension (AH) and metabolic risk factors among indigenous people of the Arctic territory of Yakutia. The obtained data show that representatives of indigenous people of the Arctic territory of Yakutia with the homozygous GG genotype for the AGT SNP rs699 are characterized by high levels of systolic blood pressure. The carriage of the GG genotype in AH patients is associated with a high frequency of hypo-HDL cholesterolemia. The carriage of GG genotype in AH patients, compared to subjects without AH, is characterized by higher blood levels of total cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides and is associated with a high frequency of abdominal obesity. Thus, the AGT rs699 missense SNP was found to be associated with metabolic risk factors in indigenous AH persons of the Arctic territory of Yakutia.
- Mills KT, Bundy JD, Kelly TN, Reed JE, Kearney PM, Reynolds K, et al. Global Disparities of Hypertension Prevalence and Control: A Systematic Analysis of Population-Based Studies From 90 Countries. Circulation. 2016;134(6):441-50. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.115.018912.
- Erina AM, Rotar OP, Solntsev VN, Shalnova SA, Deev AD, Baranova EI, et al. [Epidemiology of Arterial Hypertension in Russian Federation - Importance of Choice of Criteria of Diagnosis].Kardiologiia. 2019;59(6):5-11. doi: 10.18087/cardio.2019.6.2595.[Article in Russian]
- Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium. Genome-wide association study of 14,000 cases of seven common diseases and 3,000 shared controls. Nature. 2007;447(7145):661-78.
- Ehret GB, Ferreira T, Chasman DI, Jackson AU, Schmidt EM, Johnson T, et al. The genetics of blood pressure regulation and its target organs from association studies in 342,415 individuals. Nat Genet. 2016 Oct;48(10):1171-1184. doi: 10.1038/ng.3667.
- Warren HR, Evangelou E, Cabrera CP, Gao H, Ren M, Mifsud B, et al. Genome-wide association analysis identifies novel blood pressure loci and offers biological insights into cardiovascular risk. Nat Genet 2017;49(3):403–415. doi: 10.1038/ng.3768.
- Hoffmann TJ, Ehret GB, Nandakumar P, Ranatunga D, Schaefer C, Kwok PY, et al. Genome-wide association analyses using electronic health records identify new loci influencing blood pressure variation. Nat Genet. 2017;49(1):54-64. doi: 10.1038/ng.3715.
- Sethi AA, Nordestgaard BG, Tybjaerg-Hansen A. Angiotensinogen gene polymorphism, plasma angiotensinogen, and risk of hypertension and ischemic heart disease: a meta-analysis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003;23(7):1269-75.
- Metabolic syndrome diagnostics and treatment. Compilation of national recommendations. Moscow: Silicea-Poligraf Publishers; 2009:106–143. [In Russian].
- IDF Consensus Worldwide Definition of the Metabolic Syndrome, 2006. Available from: https://www.idf.org/e-library/consensus-statements/60-idfconsensus-world...
- Whelton PK, Carey RM, Aronow WS, Casey DE Jr, Collins KJ, Dennison Himmelfarb C, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018;71(19):e127-e248. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2017.11.006.
- Fang YJ, Deng HB, Thomas GN, Tzang CH, Li CX, Xu ZL, et al. Linkage of angiotensinogen gene polymorphisms with hypertension in a sibling study of Hong Kong Chinese. J Hypertens. 2010;28(6):1203-9. doi: 10.1097/HJH.0b013e3283384b07.
- Gopi Chand M, Srinath J, Rao RS, Lakkakula BV, Kumar S, Rao VR. Association between the M268T polymorphism in the angiotensinogen gene and essential hypertension in a South Indian population. Biochem Genet. 2011;49(7-8):474-82. doi: 10.1007/s10528-011-9423-y.
- Ji LD, Zhang LN, Shen P, Wang P, Zhang YM, Xing WH, Xu J. Association of angiotensinogen gene M235T and angiotensin-converting enzyme gene I/D polymorphisms with essential hypertension in Han Chinese population: a meta-analysis. J Hypertens. 2010;28(3):419-28. doi: 10.1097/HJH.0b013e32833456b9.
- Kurbanova D, Eliseyeva M. Genetic background of left ventricular hypertrophy in Uzbek hypertensive men. Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars. 2010;38(7):466–72.
- Say YH, Ling KH, Duraisamy G, Isaac S, Rosli R. Angiotensinogen M235T gene variants and its association with essential hypertension and plasma renin activity in Malaysian subjects: a case control study. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2005;5(1):7.
- Shamaa MM, Fouad H, Haroun M. et al. Association between the Angiotensinogen (AGT) gene (M235T) polymorphism and Essential Hypertension in Egyptian patients. The Egyptian Heart Journal. 2015; 67(1):1-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ehj.2013.10.001
- Maximov VN, Orlov PS, Malyutina SK, Mazdorova EV, Nikitin YuP, Voevoda MIAssociation of genetic markers in hypertensive disease in the Siberian population. Russian Journal of Cardiology. 2014;(10):73-76.
- Bautista LE, Vargas CI, Oróstegui M, Gamarra G. Population-based case-control study of renin–angiotensin system genes polymorphisms and hypertension among Hispanics. Hypertens Res. 2008;31(3):401–8. doi: 10.1291/hypres.31.401
- Glavnik N, Petrovic D. M235T polymorphism of the angiotensinogen gene and insertion/deletion polymorphism of the angiotensin-1 converting enzyme gene in essential arterial hypertension in Caucasians. Folia Biol (Praha). 2007;53:69–70.
- Mohana VU, Swapna N, Surender RS, Vishnupriya S, Padma T. Gender-related association of AGT gene variants (M235T and T174M) with essential hypertension--a case-control study. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2012;34(1):38-44. doi: 10.3109/10641963.2011.618207.
- Saab YB, Gard PR, Overall ADJ. The association of hypertension with renin–angiotensin system gene polymorphisms in the Lebanese population. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2011;12(4):588-94. doi: 10.1177/1470320311408465.
- Ying CQ, Wang YH, Wu ZL, Fang MW, Wang J, Li YS, et al. Association of the renin gene polymorphism, three angiotensinogen gene polymorphisms and the haplotypes with essential hypertension in the Mongolian population. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2010;32(5):293-300. doi: 10.3109/10641960903443517.
- Niemiec P, Zak I, Wita K. The M235T polymorphism of the AGT gene modifies the risk of coronary artery disease associated with the presence of hypercholesterolemia. Eur J Epidemiol. 2008;23(5):349-54. doi: 10.1007/s10654-008-9241-7.
- Procopciuc LM, Sitar-Tăut A, Pop D, Sitar-Tăut DA, Olteanu I, Zdrenghea D. Renin angiotensin system polymorphisms in patients with metabolic syndrome (MetS). Eur J Intern Med. 2010;21(5):414-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ejim.2010.06.001.
- Takakura Y, Yoshida T, Yoshioka K, Umekawa T, Kogure A, Toda H, et al. Angiotensinogen gene polymorphism (Met235Thr) influences visceral obesity and insulin resistance in obese Japanese women. Metabolism. 2006;55(6):819-24.
Received August 21, 2019.
Accepted September 22, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.