International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):308-312.
Originally published December 15, 2019
In the clinical picture of essential tremor (ET), in addition to tremulous hyperkinesis, the importance of non-motor manifestations has recently been discussed. Despite their high occurrence, in most cases these manifestations remain unverified. The purpose of this study was to assess the incidence of non-motor symptoms (NMS) in patients with ET. The study included 3 groups comparable by sex and age. Group 1 (the main group) consisted of 53 patients with ET; Group 2 consisted of 57 patients with Parkinson's disease (PD); Group 3 consisted of 111 individuals without ET or PD, and without burdened heredity for extrapyramidal diseases. All subjects filled out the NMSQuest scale, which contains 30 questions for various groups of NMS. The analysis of NMS using the NMSQues scale in the three study groups showed a similarity between ET plus and PD in non-motor manifestations.
- Louis ED. Essential tremor and the cerebellum. Handb Clin Neurol. 2018;155:245-258. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-64189-2.00016-0.
- Bhatia KP, Bain P, Bajaj N, Elble RJ, Hallett M, Louis ED; Tremor Task Force of the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society. Consensus Statement on the classification of tremors. from the task force on tremor of the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society. Mov Disord. 2018 Jan;33(1):75-87. doi: 10.1002/mds.27121.
- Louis ED. Non-motor symptoms in essential tremor: A review of the current data and state of the field. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2016; 22 Suppl 1:115–8. doi: 10.1016/j.parkreldis.2015.08.034
- Janicki SC, Cosentino S, Louis ED. The cognitive side of essential tremor: what are the therapeutic implications? Ther Adv Neurol Disord. 2013;6(6):353-68. doi: 10.1177/1756285613489591
- Jhunjhunwala K, Pal PK. The Non-motor Features of Essential Tremor: A Primary Disease Feature or Just a Secondary Phenomenon? Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov (NY). 2014;4:255. doi: 10.7916/D8D798M
- Ondo WG, Sutton L, Dat Vuong K, Lai D, Jankovic J. Hearing impairment in essential tremor. Neurology. 2003.61(8):1093–7.
- Lorenz D, Schwieger D, Moises H, Deuschl G. Quality of life and personality in essential tremor patients. Mov Disord. 2006;21(8):1114–8.
- Barut BO1, Tascilar N1,2, Varo A1. Sleep Disturbances in Essential Tremor and Parkinson Disease: A Polysomnographic Study. J Clin Sleep Med. 2015;11(6):655-62. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.4778.
- Chandran V1, Pal PK. Essential tremor: beyond the motor features. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2012;18(5):407-13. doi: 10.1016/j.parkreldis.2011.12.003.
- Gerbin M1, Viner AS, Louis ED. Sleep in essential tremor: a comparison with normal controls and Parkinson's disease patients. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2012 Mar;18(3):279-84. doi: 10.1016/j.parkreldis.2011.11.004
- Sánchez-Ferro Á, Benito-León J, Louis ED, Contador I, Hernández-Gallego J, Puertas-Martín V, Bermejo-Pareja F. Cognition in non-demented Parkinson's disease vs essential tremor: A population-based study. Acta Neurol Scand. 2017 Nov;136(5):393-400. doi: 10.1111/ane.12752.
- Walterfang M, van de Warrenburg BP. Cognitive impairment in “Other” movement disorders: hidden defects and valuable clues. Mov Disord. 2014;29(5):694–703. doi: 10.1002/mds.25849
- Sengul Y, Sengul HS, Yucekaya SK, Yucel S, Bakim B, Pazarcı NK, et al. Cognitive functions, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbances: assessment of nonmotor features in young patients with essential tremor. Acta Neurol Belg. 2015;115(3):281-7. doi: 10.1007/s13760-014-0396-6.
- Benito-León J, Louis ED, Bermejo-Pareja F. Short sleep duration heralds essential tremor: a prospective, population-based study. Mov Disord. 2013;28(12):1700–7. doi: 10.1002/mds.25590
- Lee SM, Kim M, Lee HM, Kwon KY, Koh SB. Nonmotor symptoms in essential tremor: Comparison with Parkinson's disease and normal control. J Neurol Sci. 2015;349(1-2):168-73. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2015.01.012.
- Louis ED, Barnes L, Albert SM, Cote L, Schneier FR, Pullman SL, et al. Correlates of functional disability in essential tremor. Mov Disord. 2001;16(5):914–20.
- Yilmaz NH, Akbostanci MC, Yılmaz N. Sensorineural Hearing Loss in Non-depressed Essential Tremor Cases and Controls: A Clinical and Audiometric Study. Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov (N Y). 2015;5:281. doi: 10.7916/D8XW4HKQ.
- Louis ED, Bromley SM, Jurewicz EC, Watner D. Olfactory dysfunction in essential tremor: A deficit unrelated to disease duration or severity. Neurology. 2002; 59(10):1631–3.
- Louis ED, Faust PL, Vonsattel JP, Honig LS, Rajput A, Robinson CA, et al. Neuropathological changes in essential tremor: 33 Cases compared with 21 controls. Brain. 2007;130(Pt 12):3297–307.
- Chaudhuri KR, Martinez-Martin P, Schapira AH, Stocchi F, Sethi K, Odin P, et al. International multicenter pilot study of the first comprehensive self-completed nonmotor symptoms questionnaire for Parkinson’s disease: The NMSQuest study. Mov Disord. 2006;21(7):916-23.
Received October 28, 2019.
Accepted December 12, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.