¹Moscow Scientific Research Institute of Pediatrics & Pediatric Surgery, Moscow, Russian Federation.²Moscow Children’s Hospital #9, Moscow, Russian Federation, ³N. V. Sclifosovsky Research Institute of Emergency Care, Moscow, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Vera V. Soshkina, PhD, Moscow Scientific Research Institute of Pediatrics & Pediatric Surgery. Moscow, Russian Federation. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: March 25, 2013
The problem of early diagnostics of bacterial complications is particularly true for children with extensive burn trauma (BT). Procalcitonin concentration levels considerably facilitate the diagnosis of sepsis. In all, 50 children with severe burns were included in our research. We conducted histological tests of the burn wound tissues from 13 patients. On comparison of the results of the PCT-tests with the results of the morphological investigation, we observed that the depth of the penetration of the microorganisms in the damaged tissues quite precisely corresponded to changes in the procalcitonin concentration.
- Barret JP, Herndon DN. Effects of burn wound excision on bacterial colonization and invasion. Plast Reconstr Surg 2003; 111(2):744-50; discussion 751-752.
- Becker KL, O'Neil W J, Snieder RHJr,Nylen ES, Moore CF, Jeng J, et al. Hypercalcitonemia in inhalation burn injury: a response of pulmonary neuroendocrine cell? Anat Rec 1993; 236(1): 136-138, 172-173; discussion 138-43.
- Fitzwater J, Purdue GF, Hunt JL, OKefe GE. The risk factors and time course of sepsis and organ dysfunction after burn trauma. J Trauma 2003; 54 (5):959-66.
- Ward CG, Splanding PB, Marcial E, Bullen JJ. The bactericidal power of blood and plasma of patients with burns. J Burn Care & Rehabil 1991; 12(2):120-126.
- Winkler M, Erbs G, Muller FE, Konig W. Epidemiologic studies of the microbial colonization of severely burned patients. Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg 1987; 184 (3-4):304-20.
- Ayala A, Chaudry IH. Immune dysfunction in murine polymicrobial sepsis:mediators, macrophages, lympocytes and apoptosis. Shock 1996; 6 Suppl 1:27-38.
- Bayona OEN. Bacterial infection, sepsis and procalcitonin (in Spanish). Medica Santas 2001; 4(5): 19-21.
- Bone R’C, Balk RA, Cerra FB, Dellinger RP, Fein AM, Knaus WA, et al.. Definitions for sepsis and organ filure and guidelines for the use innovative therapies in sepsis. The ACCP/SCCM Consensus Conference committee. American College o Chest Physician/Society of Critical Care Medicine. Chest 1992; 101(6):1644-1655.
- Brill RJ, Goldstein B. Pediatric sepsis definition; past, present, and future. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2005; 6 (3 Supll):S6-8.
- Brun-Buisson C. The epidemiology of the systemic inflammatory response. Intens Care Med 2002; 26 (1 Suppl): S64-74.
- Smith N. Sepsis: its causes and effects. J Wound Care 2003; 12 (7): 265-70.
- Casado-Flores J, Blanco-Quiros A, Asensio J, Arranz E, Garrote JA, Nieto M. Serum procalciotonin in children with suspected sepsis: a comparison with C-reactive protein and neutrophil count. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2003; 4(2):190-195.
- Delevaux I, Andre M, Colombier M, Albuisson E, Meylheuc F, Begue RJ, et al. Can procalcitonin measurement help in differentiating between bacterial infection and other kind of inflammatory processes? Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62:337-340.
- Leclerc F, Cremer R, Noiset O. Procalciotonin as a diagnostic and prognostic biomarker of sepsis in critically ill children. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2003;4:264-266.
- Meisner M, Tschaikowsky K, Hutzler A, Schick C, Schuttler J. Postoperative plasma concentrations of procalcitonin after different types of surgery. Intensive Care Med 1998; 24:680-684.
- Mirjam Christ-Crain, Beat Muller. Procalcitonin in bacterial infections – hype, hope, more or less? Swiss Medical Weekly 2005; 451-460.
- Shruder J, Staubach KH, Zabel P, Stuber F, Kremer B. Procalcitonin as a marker of severity in septic shock. Langenbecks Arch Surg 1999; 384(1):33-38.
- Cohen JB, Guyatt G, Bernard GR, Calandra T, Cook D, Elbourne D, et al. New strategies for clinical trials in patient with sepsis and septic shock. Crit Care Med 2001; 29(4):.880-886.
- Meisner Michael. PCT, Procalcitonin – a new, innovative infection parameter. Berlin : Brahms Diagnostica, 1996.
- Weglohner W, Struck J, Fischer-Schulz C, Morgenthaler NG, Otto A, Bohuon C, et al. Isolation and characterization of serum procalcitonin from patients with sepsis. Peptides 2001; 22 (12): 2099-103
- Whang KT, Steinwald PM, White JC, Nylen ES, Snider RH, Simon GL, et al. Serum calcitonin precursors in sepsis and systemic inflammation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998; 83: 3296–301.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2013; 3(1):23-26. © 2013 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.