Pulmonary Rehabilitation in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Metabolic Syndrome
Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko, Voronezh, the Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Evgeniy S. Ovsyannikov, PhD. Department of faculty therapy, Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko. Voronezh, Russia. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published: September 16, 2017. doi: 10.21103/Article7(3)_OA2
Background: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is widespread and often combined with other diseases, including metabolic syndrome (MS), which are closely related. The purpose of this study was to assess the clinical efficacy of a PR program for patients with COPD and MS, in addition to standard therapy.
Materials and Methods: We examined 70 patients with COPD and MS. The patients were divided into 2 groups. Group I included 35 patients who received standard pharmacologic therapy in combination with PR. Group II included 35 patients who received only standard pharmacologic therapy.
Results: Group I patients demonstrated a decrease in exacerbation events from 3.96±0.43 to 2.24±0.10 (p=0.0002), in emergency service calls from 3.80±0.37 to 1.59±0.25 (p=0.0000), and in hospital admissions from 2.93±0.11 to 1.41±0.24 (p=0.0004) per year, as well as a significant decrease in the severity of COLD symptoms, improvements in exercise tolerance, MS components and QL, compared to Group II.
Conclusion: The main benefits of a comprehensive PR program for patients with COPD and MS include a decrease in symptoms (dyspnea and fatigue), improvements in exercise tolerance, and reduction in health care utilization (particularly bed-days), as well as an increase in physical activity and an improvement in MS components.
1. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD, 2017 REPORT). Available from: http://goldcopd.org/
2. Budnevskiy AV, Burlachuk VT, Chernov AV, Ovsyannikov ES. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Voronezh: Nauchnaya kniga; 2014
3. Malysh EYu, Drobysheva ES, Chernov A.V. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cardiovascular pathology. Molodoy uchenyy. 2014;5 (64):145–148.
4. Budnevskiy AV, Kozhevnikova SA, Kostina NE, Isaeva YaV. Rehabilitation of patients with comorbidity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cardiovascular disease. Voronezh: Nauchnaya kniga; 2014.
5. IDF Consensus Worldwide Definition of the Metabolic Syndrome, 2006. Available from: https://www.idf.org/e-library/consensus-statements/60-idfconsensus-world...
6. Chazova IE, Nedogoda SV, Zhernakova YuV. Guidelines on management of patients with metabolic syndrome: clinical recommendations of the Healthcare Ministry of Russia Federation. Moscow; 2013.
7. Roytberg G.E. Metabolic syndrome. Moscow: MEDpressinform; 2007.
8. Agusti A, Soriano JB. COPD as a systemic disease. COPD. 2008;5(2):133–138. [PubMed]
9. Barnes PJ, Celli BR. Systemic manifestations and comorbidities of COPD. Eur Respir J. 2009;33(5):1165–1185. [PubMed]
10. Fabbri LM, Rabe KF. From COPD to chronic systemic inflammatory syndrome? Lancet. 2007;370(9589):797–799. [PubMed]
11. ZuWallack RL. Functional status and survival in COPD. Arch. Chest Dis. 2013;59 (3):230–233.
12. Budnevskiy AV, Ovsyannikov ES, Chernov AV. Prognostic value of biomarkers for evaluation of treatment efficacy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (a review). Molodoy uchenyy. 2014;6 (65):284–287.
13. Kireev SA, Ryazanov AS, Eremenko NN, Demenko EG. Comorbidity of COPD and metabolic syndrome: clinical manifestations and systemic inflammation laboratory parameters. Biomeditsina. 2010;1(4):40–45.
14. Stupnitskaya AYa. Oxidant – antioxidant system in patients with comorbidity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and metabolic syndrome. In: Actual Issues of the Modern Medicine: Proceedings of the 23rd International Applied Science Conference. Novosibirsk: SibAK;2013;9 (23):14–16. http://sibac.info/10308.
15. Budnevskiy AV, Tribuntseva LV, Yakovlev V.N. Improvement in outpatient care for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Sistemnyy analiz i upravlenie v biomeditsinskikh sistemakh. 2012;11(2):464–468.
16. Epifanov VA. Rehabilitation Medicine. Moscow: GEOTARMedia; 2012.
17. Danyshbaeva AB. A role of educational and smoking cessation programmes for prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Vestnik Kazakhskogo natsional'nogo meditsinskogo universiteta. 2013;2:24–26.
18. Corhay JL, Dang DN, Van Cauwenberge H, Louis R. Pulmonary rehabilitation and COPD: providing patients a good environment for optimizing therapy. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2014;9:27-39. doi: 10.2147/COPD.S52012.
19. Wijkstra PJ, Wempe JB. New tools in pulmonary rehabilitation. Eur Respir J. 2011;38(6):1468–74. doi: 10.1183/09031936.00111911.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
International Journal of Biomedicine. 2017;7(3):171-174.©2017 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.