International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):128-130.
Originally published June 15, 2019
The results of the original method of colostomy formation in 67 patients with acute large bowel obstruction (ALBO) were studied. In total, postoperative complications of a purulent-inflammatory nature (skin maceration, suppuration of postoperative and paracolostomic wounds, necrosis of colostomy, abscess of the abdominal cavity, and paracolostomal fistula) in both groups were observed in 30(44.8%) patients. In Group 1 (n=40), with the classical method of colostomy formation, purulent-inflammatory complications were observed in 21(52.5%) patients, in Group 2 (n=27) with the original method of colostomy formation in 4(14.8%) patients. Bleeding from colostomy and colostomy prolapse occurred only in Group 1 in 8(20%) patients. The proposed method of applying a colostomy helps reduce purulent-inflammatory complications by more than 3 times and provides prevention of bleeding and colostomy prolapse.
- Gataullin IG, Savinkov VG, Frolov SA, Kozlov AM. [Predictor of septic complications in colorectal cancer surgery]. Journal of Experimental and Clinical Surgery. 2018;11(1):33-37. doi: 10.18499/2070-478X-2018-11-1-33-37. [Article in Russian].
- The state of cancer care for the population of Russia in 2016. In: Kaprina AD, Starinsky VV, Petrova GV, editors. M.: MNIOI named after PA. Herzen; 2017. [In Russian].
- Tsarkov PV, Tulina IA, Tsugulya PB, Kochetkov VS, Khmelik SV. [Post-rectectomy choice of preventive intestinal stoma formation method: prospective multicenter randomized clinical trial protocol]. Russian Journal of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Coloproctology. 2017;27(2):102-110. doi:10.22416/1382-4376-2017-27-2-102-110. [Article in Russian].
- Charyshkin AL, Aberyasev SYu, Mokhovikov VA. [Formation of reservoir colostomy]. Kazan Medical Journal. 2010;91(2):215-8. [Article in Russian].
- Geng HZ, Nasier D, Liu B, Gao H, Xu YK. Meta-analysis of elective surgical complications related to defunctioning loop ileostomy compared with loop colostomy after low anterior resection for rectal carcinoma. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2015 Oct;97(7):494-501. doi: 10.1308/003588415X14181254789240.
- Glynne-Jones R, Wyrwicz L, Tiret E, Brown G, Rödel C, Cervantes A, Arnold D; ESMO Guidelines Committee. Rectal cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol. 2017;28(suppl_4):iv22-iv40. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdx224.
- Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum (JSCCR) guidelines 2016 for the treatment of colorectal cancer. Watanabe T, Muro K, Ajioka Y, Hashiguchi Y, Ito Y, Saito Y, et al.; Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum. Int J Clin Oncol. 2018;23(1):1-34. doi: 10.1007/s10147-017-1101-6.
- Yanishev AA, Bazaev AV, Kokobelyan AR, Abelevich AI. [Current technologies for the prevention of parastomal
herniation (review)]. Sovremennye Tehnologii v Medicine 2018; 10(3): 175–183. doi: 10.17691/stm2018.10.3.22. [Article in Russian].
- Ostrovskiĭ VK, Alimov RR, Mashchenko AV, Semenova OP, Kurapova MI. [Normal parameters of leukocytic index of intoxication]. Klin Lab Diagn. 2003;(1):45-6. [Article in Russian].
Received March 29, 2019.
Accepted May 6, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.